Monday, August 30, 2004

32 going on 16…….

I arrived home at 9:30 PM from my Lafayette AA meeting. The first thing I usually do is check my phone message machine. There were 6 messages in an hour and a half. I pushed the button and one by one worried calls from my mother and father rang out over the speaker. Calls such as….

“Andrew, call me when you get in. I was concerned that it was after nine and you were not home. Love, Dad”

“Andrew, this is your momma. Call me when you get in. I am worried because you didn’t come over tonight to see me.”

“Andrew, call us when you get home. We are worried something happened to you.”

I stood there tapping the top of my entertainment center until the last message had finished.

I usually go and sit with my mother every night until my father comes home from work. They forgot that Lafayette is on Central Time and where we live is Eastern Time so that made my meeting an hour later. My meeting didn’t end until 9:00 PM my time and I had to take a friend home after the meeting so I didn’t arrive home until 9:30 PM.

I kind of chuckled and felt like I was sixteen all over again. Geez, have things changed as far as my relationship with my parents goes. A few short months ago, we didn’t even speak and now they freak out when I am out past nine. Keep in mind that I am a thirty two year old man. I am not complaining though. I am glad they care so much about me now.

I was starving when I arrived home. I ate a quick bologna sandwich, a banana, and drank a glass of apple juice and then walked over to my parent’s house. The door was open so I walked in. Dad was sitting in his pajamas watching the republican national convention.

“We were worried sick about you. What happened?” Dad decreed.

“Dad, you know my meeting on Monday is an hour later. They are on Central Time. I am fine and there is no need to worry.” I said.

“Well, we were just concerned. It is not like you to stay out late now.” He replied. “Wouldn’t you rather us worry about you than not worry as before?”

“Dad, I am glad you all care. Just remember I am a grown man and not a child.” I said as I laughed.

“Well, we are just glad you are okay.” He replied.

I sat for awhile watching John McCain talk about what I do not know. I was not too interested in politics tonight and was more interested in petting the cat. The RNC served as a good tranquilizer and I was soon yawning every few minutes. I said my good byes and walked home with the intent to head for bed.

It has been a very long time since I felt like I was truly back in the family. The way my parent’s acted tonight was odd for a man my age but it was endearing to know that they care about me so much now and take such an interest in my well being. I will have much more space when I move into my new home and am not practically living in my parent’s back yard though. Maybe I should call Charlie and ask him how soon I can move in. 8^) Good night and I hope you all have a family that cares about you as well. Life can get awful lonely without loved ones to surround ourselves with. Believe me, I know.

No comments: