Sunday, August 29, 2004

Putting my thoughts down on paper…..

I have had a wonderful weekend in the country. I spent my time reading, reflecting, and thinking on top of taking care of my Great Aunt, cooking and sleeping. I was trying to put into words why Kevin pushes my buttons and I think I finally got into words why I am so alarmed by much of what he writes. I wrote this comment today and sent it to Kevin via blogger comments and email. He most likely will delete it or not read it so that’s why I post it here as well. Tell me what you think or if my reasoning is flawed. I welcome all comments whether negative or positive.

Kevin,

Okay, let’s stick to talking about homelessness. This is coming from a formerly homeless man who has worked hard to rebuild his life. I know I will just be summarily deleted without consideration but I need to talk about this and I will post this on my blog as well. This is as much for me as it is for you to read because I know you will not take it into consideration.

A public webpage is not a like a private person’s home. These two things are vastly different. Anyone in the whole wide world can visit your blog if they have internet access. Only a select group of trusted individuals can visit my home. You see, I have a key that locks the door. You too can have a key to your blog and it is called a password. That way you can have just who you want to see it to view it and comment. I think this would go against your agenda of public and press recognition though.

Now to my main point about homelessness and your blog…..You have a great responsibility to the homeless community and I don’t think you realize this. When anyone types in “Homeless”, “Homelessness”, “Homeless Guys”, etc. into a search engine, nine times out of ten your website is going to be at the top of the links on the first page. I am sure you have tried this and revel in the publicity.

The first experience for most people about homelessness comes from viewing your blog. They read what you write and develop opinions about homelessness. I and another homeless blogger have talked extensively about this on the phone. When people read your site, they take from you their perceptions and ideas of homelessness. Often what you portray is not healthy or beneficial to the homeless community. You come across as anti-work, anti-establishment, radical, and anti-social. These things are not very endearing to the majority of the United States population. It is not what most people should view homeless people as. Most homeless people work, try really hard to get ahead, and never catch a break.

I will continue to read your website to monitor what you write and write on my blog any rebuttals to what you are portraying as the typical homeless guy. You speak only for yourself and not homeless people in general. Most of us want to work, to reenter society, to get clean and sober, and have a home.

Andrew

No comments: