Friday, August 06, 2004

The missed dentist’s appointment……

Yes, I escaped going to the dentist yesterday morning. It is an interesting story. I awoke around seven AM and took a shower. I then got on the computer to pass the time as my appointment wasn’t until eight AM. About ten minutes till I called my folks as my mother was going to take me. My dad’s best friend has my late grandmother’s car.

The phone rings.

“Hello?” Asked dad.

“Hey dad, who is taking me to the dentist this morning?” I asked.

“Your mother is. I have to be at work early.” He said.

“Okay, I will walk over in just a second.” I replied.

I made my way over to my parent’s house via the back yard. The garage door was letting up as I walked up the steps to their house. Out walked dad in his pajamas to turn the sprinkler on to water the back yard.

“Is mom up yet?” I asked.

“Hell, I don’t know. Let’s go upstairs and check.” He said.

We walked through the basement and up the stairs to the top level of the house. We both walked down the hall to my mother’s bedroom. She was looking for her keys and something seemed amiss.

“Martha, you awake?” My father asked her.

“I can’t find my keys.” My mom mumbled.

She was clearly on autopilot and something wasn’t quite right. Her words were slurred and her hair was amiss. I and my father spent a few moments trying to wake her up and get her going. We walked back down to the car to start on our way. I knew something was up as she was talking funny and acting as if she was still asleep.

“Dad, mom is not fit to drive. She is going to have a wreck.” I whispered.

“I know, I know. Let’s just wait a moment to see if she wakes up.” He replied.

“Why don’t I drive?” I asked.

“I don’t have you on our insurance yet. I am going to do that this afternoon.” He replied.

Well shit, I thought to myself. Here is where things get interesting. Mom started to back out of the garage and narrowly missed hitting the car’s mirrors on the side. After clearing the garage, she just kept backing and backing.

“Um, mom?” I asked sounding alarmed.

Then the sound of crunching bushes as we backed over the shrubs that line the driveway. That was enough for me. I reached over and put the car into park.

“Mom, get out of the car. We are not going this morning.” I said.

“Why? I am okay. I can take you.” She replied in slow motion.

“No, no you’re not. I am just going to call and tell them we can’t make it.” I said.

My dad then walked out of the garage to see what had happened. He was shaking his head.

“We are not going to be able to make it this morning.” I told him.

We, all three, walked back inside and I called the dentist office and explained the situation. They were nice about it and we rescheduled my appointment for the 12th of August.

Later in the day, my mom called me. She asked if she had forgotten to take me to the dentist. She didn’t even remember what had transpired that morning. She called two more times asking me about what had happened. I tried my best to reassure her that everything is okay. It is just too much on her to do even simple things. All she can do is just lie in the bed all day. It makes me sad and I feel so sorry for her. I keep hoping that one day she will wake up and start being like the mom I grew up with.

No comments: