Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Darkness falls; a ride entails……..

I got my car back. Am I ecstatic? You bet your damn boots I am. I am a proud owner of a fourteen year old car that needs much attention in the next few weeks. I need a spare tire. I need a new headlight. I badly need a wash and wax job. All in all though, she is road worthy and the most pressing problems are fixed.

Alaine called tonight to see if I got my car.

“Did you get it back?” She asked.

“You are damn straight I did!” I said excitedly. “It cost me a fortune but I am back on the road.”

“Take me for a ride tonight with the convertible top off.” She asked.

I hesitated. My car looks like junk and needs some serious cleaning after sitting up for a year.

“Doll, it is very dirty. I need to clean it up before I take it on rides.” I said.

Hey, a guy wants to impress his date don’t you think? I didn’t want her to ride around in what looks like a piece of junk.

“I don’t care. Take the top off and let’s go for a ride out in the country.” She pleaded.

“Okay, okay, I need to get some gas and will be by in just a few moments.” I replied and hung up the phone.

I ran to the bathroom and put on some more deodorant and brushed my teeth. I then ran out to the car with a trash bag and tried to make it as presentable as possible. At least it was night and things weren’t so apparent.

I then quickly drove to a nearby gas station and put in ten dollars of gas. I was almost on empty. Shit, I forgot to take the top down and quickly took it off. I then drove over to pick her up. She and her mom were standing outside to great me. Oh great! I thought. I have a reception. Alaine got in and off we went.

I drove out towards Cusseta Alabama and all the back roads. I was worried about being pulled over with an out low beam. My high beams work fine. We drove out into the country towards Waverly. I put on my favorite top down, road trip CD; Joni Mitchell’s Night Ride Home. I brought back a ton of memories from my college days in this car.

I pulled into a dirt road and up by the huge old, dead oak tree that has stood there since my youth. I turned off the car and the lights. You could see a thousand stars amid the clouds as we looked up through the open top.

“It’s amazing isn’t it?” I asked. “You can see so much more out here in the country.”

You could hear a mournful whippoorwill off in the distance. The sound of katydids filled the car and drowned out the CD.

“It is a beautiful night but chilly.” Alaine replied.

She was losing her gusto for a top down ride.

“I will put up the top. Give me a second.” I said.

After ten minutes of fiddling with the top and getting it back up, we headed back home. I cannot say how overjoyed I am of being back on the road and mobile again. This opens up so many opportunities for me. I plan on taking advantage of them all. Good night gentle readers and may you rest well.

No comments: