Monday, August 30, 2004

What is up with her?

I bet some of you long time readers are wondering what became of my ex-wife. If you are a long time reader then you know she was a major source of contention and resentment for me. I had to let go of a lot of pain over her to get better and to turn around my life.

We no longer talk in person but she still keeps up with me. I asked her to no longer call me or bother me and she has complied. I had to be devious and threaten her with a fraud call to social security but she has left me alone. She goes by my father’s pharmacy every week to keep tabs on me though.

My father once told me many months ago some interesting advice. He said, “I know you are angry and hurt with her but the best way you can get back at her is to turn around your life. It will drive her crazy when she hears you are doing well.” He was right. It has driven her crazy and she is very jealous of my turn around. She took joy in knowing that I was ill or not doing well. She felt justified in throwing me out of the house and getting everything I had.

She drove by the drug store last Friday to ask my father about my new house. My father said she wanted to know all about it and he told her that, yes, the house is almost a done deal and that I was going to be a new homeowner. She also wanted to know if I was still drinking and my father told her I had been sober for quite awhile now and was very active in AA and seemed to be very happy. He said I was a changed man and that my car was fixed and that I was going back to college. She really was being nosey and I told my father not to divulge so much information. He told me to let him handle it and that she needed to hear these things.

Yesterday, I was over at my soon to be new home helping move some things and as me and Charlie were moving out a table to the truck, she drove by. My home is miles away from where she lives. I think it caught her off guard that we were there. She acted like she didn’t see us and drove on. It kind of shook me up to see her and my old car with our dog sticking his head out the window. I could feel those old resentments rise up and I had to stifle them.

I do have a new apathy towards her now. I realize what we had is long gone and I have to go forward with my life. I could never stay sober if she was active in my life. I am no longer mad or angry and use her as an excuse to get drunk. I wish her the best and hope she goes on with her life as well. Cya Rachel and farewell.

No comments: