Thursday, August 26, 2004

This too shall pass……

I had a shaky AA meeting tonight. On Thursdays we go around the room and introduce ourselves. Two people in the room said their names and introduced themselves as addicts. Several long time alcoholics anonymous members basically told them that they needed to go somewhere else for help and both addicts got up in a huff and left. I felt sorry for these people and wanted to help but felt my opinion was greatly outnumbered. I didn’t want those two people to use this confrontation as an excuse to go out tonight and use.

This made me really uncomfortable and I said so when it was my time to speak. The “Old Timers” spoke of our singular purpose as alcoholics to keep the discussion to strictly alcohol. Now, I have never had a problem with “drugs” such as cocaine, marijuana, or methamphetamines. I have only tried marijuana very few times in college. My drug of choice was alcohol but I felt we could help these people and at least let them stay and listen.

When it came my time to speak, I remarked that alcohol is a drug and we too were addicts and several old timers scoffed at my remark. I also stated that modern medical science has shown that alcohol affects the same nerve receptors in the brain as most other drugs. This little fact didn’t go over too well either and I heard a few men grumble as I said it.

It seems to me that some of these old timers have become arrogant and uncaring to others with other problems. It’s as if alcohol has become this exclusive club that only they can be a member of. Good thing these “Old Timers” don’t come very often and I don’t have to put up with their narrow mindedness on a constant basis or I too would be tempted to get up and leave.

One thing I want to make clear is that I will do anything I have to do to keep sober and stay sober. My life has been better and my mind more clear these past few weeks of me earnestly working my program than it has ever been before. I will not let a few, old, crotchety drunks keep me from working my program and push me out of the program. They have their opinion and I have mine but I will be damned if I am just going to sit there and not voice my opinion on the matter. I am sure I burned a few bridges with a few of these old farts but I believe I am right. I will continue to go to my meetings and listen to the good people I have come to trust and admire and use their success and sobriety as something to emulate.

No comments: