Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Risperdal, Risperdal, where art thou Risperdal…….

Yes, today was that day, my bi-weekly injection of bliss and joy. I drove down to my father’s store to pick up the injection at 9 am. My father was off today but his co-pharmacist was there.

“Oh hey Jonathon, what do you need?” She asked.

“I need my happy shot!” I exclaimed.

Everyone laughed out loud.

“I need one of those this morning as well.” She said as she laughed and handed me the box out of the refrigerator in the back room.

I opened the box and showed how long and large the needle was.

“On second thought, I don’t think I need it that bad.” She said.

The pharmacy technician shivered as she looked at it.

I continued my journey down to the doctor’s office. I signed in and as soon as I sat down they called me. This was a record for my doctor’s office.

“Laurie has quit.” The nurse said.

Laurie has been giving me the shot for months now and knows the procedure.

“What happened? I liked Laurie.” I said.

“They are working the shit out of us here. The hours are too long and everyone is going elsewhere.” The nurse told me. I knew her from high school so the curse word was okay. She knows me well.

The doctors are Indian as in the continent India and they have a super human work ethic that doesn’t jibe with the American work ethic. The nurses are finding jobs with less hours and equal pay elsewhere.

“Do you know how to do this?” Michelle asked.

“Yeah, I will show you how. It is not as complicated as it looks.” I said.

No comments: