Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Going back in time…….

I just got home from staying at my great aunt’s house in Waverly Alabama. I cannot stress how much this experience is like going back in time. She doesn’t have cable television. There is no internet. She rarely even runs the air conditioning in this god awful hot weather.

I had a good time though and it brought rest and peace to my soul. We ate lots of country vegetables and spent long hours talking and reminiscing about times past. I worked out in the yard some getting her shrubbery shaped up. I also got the old 1962 Studebaker cranked and running but it needs new tires. The ones on it have dry rotten and are not safe for the road.

Last night I sat out on the front porch drinking a cold glass of sweat tea and smoking my pipe. I looked up at the stars and was astounded. You don’t realize how much light pollution there is even in a small town like Lanett until you get out in the “real” country like Waverly. The sky was filled with twinkling jewels of light and I wish I had a telescope to explore the heavens with last evening. It was a beautiful and mind settling to see.

After sitting on the porch for a bit, I slowly and quietly made my way to the bed. I didn’t want to wake Myrtis as she goes to bed very early. I turned the box fan on high and finally drifted to sleep despite the heat. At least the windows were open and that helped.

I almost hated to come home tonight. I really enjoyed my stay. She needs me and I need her as well. I think this will now be a weekly routine for me. Good night friends and I hope you rest well tonight. I am off to escape into my dreams……

No comments: