Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Annals of the Weather Obsessed

"Severe thunderstorm – Etowah County. Headed this way," I told my father on the phone. "Damaging golf ball sized hail has been reported."

"Bring it on!" my father said, excitedly. "We need the rain."

"It is thundering here right now," I replied. "But the National Weather Service seems aloof about issuing warnings so far."

"Call me with any new developments," my father then said. "I've got prescriptions to fill."

The weather obsession gene runs far and long back into my father's side of the family. Interesting weather such as yesterday will get us all as excited as some people get about their favorite television shows. We have also been terribly dry with a persistent high pressure ridge over the South. This ridge seems to be breaking down.

I was sitting at my computer reading the latest weather discussion on the NWS website when there was a knock upon the door. It was my dearest friend Rosa.

"Hey sweetheart," I said as I opened the door struggling to keep Maggie from running outside.

"I didn't want to get caught alone if the power went out," Rosa replies. "Alright if I stay over here? Your basement is safer than my old house."

"You're always welcome," I said.

Those big storms finally arrived with driving rain. Rosa would cringe at every thunderous boom of thunder. I would smile and laugh with glee.

"You are like a kid at Christmas," Rosa said. "This shit scares the hell out of me."

The storm passed almost as soon as it arrived. The thunder faded off into the distance. Luckily, we didn't lose our power and Rosa got to watch her favorite, Court TV. I thanked the weather Gods for yesterday's wet bounty and was content for the rest of the day. The simplest of pleasures bring me the greatest of joys.

6 comments:

Josie Two Shoes said...

I love storms too Andrew... all that raw power is awesome!

justLacey said...

i love the rain also. we have had a terrible draught here so any rain is welcome. especially if i have nowhere to go.

~~ Lily ~~ said...

When I was a kid, my dad and I would sit on the front porch and watch the rain. It's odd to some people, but storms are soothing to me.

Annabel said...

Every time we get interesting weather here, I think of you! I know how much you love it. I'm like Rosa though - most of the time it scares me when the lightening gets too close! I still want to see a tornado, however - not too close, but it would be cool.

Gledwood said...

Hi I come across you before. You've been in my links for months and months. But you never replied to any of my comments ...!

I found you again quite by chance, pressing next blog! So that's serendipity saying we should meet!

I'm at http://gledwood2.blogspot.com - you're welcome to drop by if you like.

Meanwhile I still come back to your blog every so often. You always have a fascinating point of view, so keep up the great work!

All the best

from

Gledwood "vol 2" ...

I think you're crazy just like me said...

That is pretty cool.. a family of weather nuts lol. We don't have the same in my family.