Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Touchy Feely Guy

"You are touchy feely," Rosa told me on the phone a moment ago.

I had called her to ask if I share too freely. I can rely on Rosa to be brutally honest and blunt.

"You are not like normal guys," Rosa furthered. "You share your feelings and your thoughts freely."

"I think it is my mental illness and my experiences with homelessness," I replied. "I feel life is too short to not share your feelings."

"I find it endearing of you. We would have never become friends if you weren't that way."

"Thanks," I said.

"You going to AA tonight?" Rosa asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "Tonight is the Big Book study so I won't have to share or speak. I can just sit there and listen to those CDs."

Rosa laughed.

"You wear your heart on your sleeve most of the time, and yet you struggle with social anxiety."

"I know," I said. "It's a strange combination, isn't it?"

"You just keep being you and things are going to be just fine," Rosa said. "I love you just the way you are."

I hung up the phone with a smile feeling much better. I think it is also odd that I, as a guy, have a best friend that is an older woman. I guess I am just an eclectic bag of oddballs. Life certainly has been interesting these past few years.

8 comments:

Josie Two Shoes said...

I don't think it odd at all that you have a best friend like Rosa, Andrew. I think you've discovered the secret many miss - that friendships are born in the heart, and not in the external obvious. While no one might think you and Rosa make a good match if they only looked at the surface, the truth is you are a very positive and supportive influence on each other - who could ask for a better friend than that? Celebrate your uniqueness - it's beautiful!

ANITA said...

Rosa sounds like a wise person and a great friend. :o)

Leo said...

You have an interesting, well written blog here. I will definitely stop back. Take care.

Eric Valentine said...

My friend, the day I found your blog was the day you met Rosa.

That post certainly registered and stayed with me, for I've read you ever since.

That day is the day that both Rosa and you took centre stage by storm.
What a wonderful relationship you two have built. Yours and the gang is the "House that jack built" be proud of that achievement.

Grace said...

Good, loyal friends are hard to find. I envy you.

justLacey said...

I really like Rosa, don't you?

CRUSTYBEEF said...

Mr. 4th ave-I think it's fabulous..you are a wonderful soul and you should be proud of yourself.
Always,
Crusty~

Tally-wa said...

this is a very insiring story. you sound like a great person and Rosa sounds like a great friend to have.