Monday, June 11, 2007

Casting a Long Shadow



Sat on my favorite bench in that little park after midnight. A train roared through downtown causing me to turn up my little radio. In my hand was a cup of coffee, black, poured from my thermos. This diet has caused me to forego my usual cream and sugar. It has taken some getting used to my coffee without my usual condiments – especially the bitterness.



On the horizon stretches that grand old cotton mill like some silent sentinel. Its weaving and spinning looms fallen long dormant and quiet as the work was sent overseas for cheaper labor and the workers were left to fend for themselves in unemployment lines – once the lifeblood of this little Southern town - times change.



I realize after-midnight is my witching hour – a time where my senses are heightened, my awareness's sensitive, and my sight keen. I think of the waning crescent moon that will soon be full come the end of the month and the jokes my father often tells of insane and crazy people spurred by that moon to do extraordinary things. I must be sure to prepare my wolf's bane for the moon to come.



I finally stand after drinking the last of my coffee – my body casting a long shadow in the glow of a street light. I stand erect for a moment and stretch – sore from my exertions of moving all day. It is going to be a good week, I muse. I then disappear into the night to walk home – my witching hour passed. The bed waits.

13 comments:

KYRIE said...

I just wanna say the words in ur post today are beautifully arranged and expressed. Good writing.
Have a great week!
BTW, you can use low fat milk with ur coffee for ur diet.

Summer said...

I'm going to believe you.
It WILL be a good week.
Because I need one.

In my grandmother's town, it was the American Tobacco Company that packed up and left. Sad to see a town almost die.

wstaple said...

Andrew,

I met a guy a church yesterday who is a rep for the company that produces risperdal consta. I knew exactly what he was talking about when he mentioned it because of your blog!

Have a great day!

Josie Two Shoes said...

What a beautiful word picture of the night Andrew, I almost felt like I was there with you. You have a wonderful gift for describing things! Do have a good week!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

Hope you slept well, and you're off to a good start on monday. Good luck tonite with your support group-what are you concocting for appetizers tonite? :0)
Always,
Crusty~

VA Friend said...

Try a sugar substitute like Sweet N Low or equal. One pack is like two sugars.

I think you're crazy just like me said...

Very cool. You can take a post and describe everything succinctly. Envious, Andrew.

The Artist formerly Known as Purpleworms (!) said...

Beautiful words for a beautiful thoughtful time. I like the hour or two before dawn too - the hour of the wolf

Joshua said...

I give u my HAND! You shall not want!

joshua

2 LMZ FARMS said...

I know what you mean about living in the South. Here in Norhtern MS, we are just furniture. Well, everything is going to China and such and there is no jobs here for us. I worked for my uncle who had a furniture factory and he closed the doors last week. Well, now I'm unemployed. My bills, just house payment, untilities, car Insurance runs me $725 a month. My unemployment only pays $720 a month. Now, just where in the hell do I come up with the rest, or grocery money. I hate it here but what can I do. I'm stuck so I have to live with it. Sorry, didn't mean to vent everything out on you.
Have you got moved in yet?
Have a good one.
Laura

bidibis (aka g.a.n.g) said...

What is it like living in Alabama? I ve heard lots of alabamians live down there

ANITA said...

This was captivating, even in its brevity. You really have a way with words. Glad I happened across your blog. Forgive me as I read backwards here... I am new to your blog :o)

P.S. I hope you have a terrific week.

reri said...

As others have said, I just can say that you have written such beautiful words. Lovely.
I wish I can write words as smooth as you :)