Sunday, June 10, 2007

Lazy Chairperson

Last night's A.A. meeting was of the kind I dislike. The chairperson went through the opening formalities and then started around the room asking each person to speak. If I were new to A.A. then this would have immediately turned me off to the program and I would have never gone back. It is laziness on the part of the chairperson for not preparing and coming up with talking points and leading the discussion.

"What am I going to say?" Rosa whispered to me filled with anxiety.

"Say you are glad to be here, but don't need to speak tonight," I replied back quietly.

It was one of the longest hours of A.A. I have ever experienced and both Rosa and I were glad it was over.

"If that were my first meeting then I would have never come back," Rosa told me as we were walking home.

"I know," I said. "I apologize. That chairperson was a dufus."

It was a long walk home as I was already tired from moving house all day. I did manage to get my washer and dryer hooked up and running. Jimmy James also made great progress on my back deck and steps. It is just a matter of days and I will be moved in.

Well, let me head to the grocery store to go buy Maggie dog food. She just walked by carrying her food dish in her mouth. This is a not so subtle hint to me by her that she is hungry. Till we speak again.

8 comments:

KYRIE said...

Go! Go! Don't starve Maggie!

Have a sweet Sunday!

simonsays said...

Ha ha ha ha ha----I have a mental picture of Maggie with dish in mouth, aren't dogs the funniest, ever? Have a wonderful Sunday Andrew----Jamie


I hope this is not a double comment post, it didn't show up the first time. :)

Cheryl said...

I love that Maggie and can't wait till you have a new camera so we can see videos of her again.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Who says that dogs can't talk?! My cats will sit and stare at their dish if it's empty - equally effective in getting their point across, or maybe they are trying to mentally order it to refill! :-) Sorry that last night's meeting was a bummer. I guess you win some you lose some. I'm glad it wasn't the first one Rosa attended. If both of you felt it was tedious I'm sure that others did too.

The Artist formerly Known as Purpleworms (!) said...

Hope the meetings get better for both of your sakes (especially Rosa's since she is so new to it.)

CRUSTYBEEF said...

Ha..Good for Maggie!
made those cheese straws last night..my husband is smittened by the taste. Thank you very much.
Always,
Crusty~

M said...

i bought my new dog some food but he keeps eating the cat food!

jane said...

my dog henry, who died a year ago, would carry his dish as well. your post brought back a very happy and sweet memory. thanks,
jane