Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Sally Lou’s Traditional Southern Spicy Cheese Straws

By popular demand, I thought I would share my grandmother's spicy cheese straw recipe. I can eat these things until bloated.

  • 4 ounces of butter, softened (1 stick)
  • 10 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • ½ teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
  • Splash of Tabasco (to taste)
  • 1 cup sifted all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cream butter. Mix in cheese, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. Stir to blend.

Slowly stir in flour until completely mixed in. Put dough on a lightly floured work surface and form into a roll. Cover roll with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour until firm and chilled.

Pull out dough and cut into four pieces. Roll each piece until it is thin and then cut them into appropriate straws. Place on a slightly greased baking sheet and cook for 10 – 15 minutes until slightly golden brown and semi-crisp on the edges. Makes about 4 dozen cheese straws.

2 comments:

CRUSTYBEEF said...

OH my gosh, Oh my gosh,..My mouth is drooling like my 11months old.thank you very much. you should write a book on recipes..title it, Alabama Andrew's Palate. You would be an amazing chef.
Thank you very much.
Always,
Crusty~

The Artist formerly Known as Purpleworms (!) said...

Gosh! I hadn't thought about cheese straws in years. I grew up in the south and really miss the food! Thanks for posting this!