Tuesday, October 09, 2007

A Judicial Matter

"Bet you won't forget these papers again," the judge told me as he smiled and handed me back my proof of insurance for the date I had my little fender bender.

"No sir," I replied, grinning furiously and kissing his ass. "It was a lesson hard learned."

The judge dismissed my case and tore up the ticket, leaving me free to go. Yes, I had to go to court this morning and luckily, I was the second person called to see the judge. I was nervous because if the judge didn't dismiss my case, I would have to go to court a second time for trial and possibly pay a $750 dollar fine -- two or three year's worth of insurance premiums.

"God, you look gorgeous," Rosa told me before I left for court. I was dressed to the nines, wearing my nicest khaki slacks and a button up shirt. I even wore my expensive Cole Hahn shoes. "I could just eat you up and jump your bones."

I smiled and gave Rosa a kiss on the cheek.

"You sure you don't want me to go with you?"

"I'll be fine," I replied as I escaped out my front door to jump in my car.

I won't lie and say it wasn't nerve wracking. I had to take two of my Librium to get through this ordeal. The hardest part was the massive crowd crammed into this little municipal courtroom -- standing room only. A feeling of dread overcame me when I pulled up to the front of the courtroom and a great congregation of people had gathered. I noticed that most of these people were poor and most likely victims of racial and class profiling.

I am eagerly awaiting my camera today. My 4 gigabyte flash memory card has already arrived. They shipped it separately from the camera. It is going to be a long afternoon anxiously awaiting the UPS truck pulling in front of the house. I am ready to play with my new toy.

Technorati Tags: , ,

12 comments:

Josie Two Shoes said...

Wonderful news, I am so glad he tore up the ticket... and I am proud of you for getting thru this ordeal on your own - you manage to find more inner strength and courage than anyone else I know!

impromptublogger said...

Congrats for getting through that! I always keep my insurance card in my wallet, and the car registration in the glove compartment.

Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your new toy after it comes!

My World said...

hey Andrew!
Its been sometime since I have stopped by to say Hi. I was away and am delighted to have so much to read on your blog now :)
Keep going. All the best

Anonymous Boxer said...

I think you've earned some time with just you and your camera.

Have fun.

M said...

I'm glad that even as you were shown mercy you took a couple moments to notice the other folks in the court and speculate on their circumstances!
I am sure there is racial and class profiling going on in America. It's one of our ugly little secrets. Although, on the other hand, there is a lot that is good about the judicial system too. Ah. Life. 'Tis a complicated endeavor.

Tee said...

I so glad the judge had mercy on you. Just be sure to keep those documents in the vehicle in the future. :-) I would have needed some meds as well. Looking forward to your photos.

Chandira said...

That's great, glad you didn't have to cough up $750!! Wow..

Cheryl said...

I'm glad it went so well for you in court. I've only had to go once, for a traffic ticket, and I was filled with anxiety.

Terri said...

I think talking with a cop or going before a judge are some of the most anxiety ridden moments I've ever had in my life. Glad the ticket is gone and that you got through that!

Portia said...

SO glad it went well!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

Thanks wonderful News!!!!! I'm sure it wasn't easy..but you sound as if you're dressed to the nines..
obviously Im a clueless stuck at home mom, but what are Cole Hahns? I have no clue on whats In, who's IN...all I know is poop and mud and bugs. :)They sound like really nice shoes.
Always,
Crusty~

SOUL: said...

congrats on the ticket getting thrown out... soulmans did too.. well the address one.. he had to pay the speeding ticket..but will get the 100.00 back. phew!

always awesome when stuff like that works out eh?
good for you.