Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Venus at my Doorstep

I roll out of the bed at 5:00 a.m.  I stretch, pull on my shorts and shoes, and am soon ready for my walk.

"Can't you sleep in just this morning?" Rosa moans as I sit on the edge of the bed.

"I'll bring you some breakfast," I tell her as I walk out of the bedroom and out the front door of my house.

It is a beautiful pre-dawn morning.  I crane my neck to the sky to soak in the starlit sky.  The Big Dipper greets me as I look.  I wistfully think of all the thousands before me that saw such a view.  It all feels so timeless and ageless.  Soon, Venus, the harbinger of the sun, is climbing to the east followed by the first light of dawn.

Merl greets me with a hearty "hello" as I take a seat in her diner.  I order a ham and cheese omelet as I listen to the boisterous railroad worker's banter over their meals.  I hear the scraping of their forks across their plates and the rhythmic sound of their chewing to the radio playing in the corner.  I wonder where the rails will take them today and envy them of their jobs. I so long to be employed these days -- to have a purpose for this meandering existence.

I think about how this day is just going to be as good as I make it as I eat.  I could sit and wallow in self pity or I could tackle this day with aplomb.  Aplomb, it is I decide. I pay for my meal and leave Merl's noticing the now orange sliver on the horizon foretelling the sun is about to rise.  I breath in deeply the cool morning air and head for home.  It is going to be an exciting day waiting for my camera to arrive.  I almost can't wait.

28 comments:

mago said...

Grab life!

simonsays said...

Oh darlin - I do hope it showed up today!

Joshua said...

Mama mia. So you've got love, hey?! To me this is all fiction to feed a multitude of hipnotized visitors.

jacobithegreat said...

ooh you're going to have fun with your new camera!

justLacey said...

Any camera yet?

Anonymous Boxer said...

really hoping your camera arrived.....

Leann said...

I can't wait to see the pics you take with the camer.

Did you take Rosa breakfast?

Cheryl said...

I really need to get out there and walk again. When I was walking, I'd do just what you do...get dressed and walk out the door. That's all there is to it.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

The storm is beginning to past dear Andrew...you are an amazing surfer! :)
Always,
Crusty~
So glad for you!

Summer said...

OK Andrew. We're all foaming at the mouth. Did it arrive?

Le Fleur said...

Hope your camera arrived today. I'm waiting for a few things to come as well so I was sorely disappointed to find that today nothing at all came. Two books and eight products from etsy is what I'm waiting for, but its just as frustrating I think. They're paid for! They should just come already!

Anyhow, be well.

Le Fleur said...

Oh, and I really like your new description. Its never good to define yourself with labels because everyone is worth so much more than the sum of their parts and words fail when trying to explain that. Also, I don't see your life as mundane at all.

A said...

Nice new about me :) and I hope your camera comes tomorrow. I know about those waitings. Good Luck

Solipsista said...

Andrewww!
I Think I'm infatuated to your writing!!
Keep it real as always!
:)

Davo said...

So you thought we only wanted to read about the homeless? No. This is proof you can make the most mundane things interesting to read.

Anonymous said...

Aplomb is a splendid word. Thank-you for using it!

SOUL: said...

seems that camera is taking for-evah to get there.
can't wait to see the pics it/you take!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

So, I was thinking, maybe you should dispute or send in a rebuttle request regarding the google ads..you shouldn't get screwed for someone elses recklessness..that just isn't fair..they need to come up with a better system. Ironically, the same thing happened over in my world..someone was "clicking" suspiciously so they disabled them. I think I may go do a request for review..
So, what did you end up bringing Rosa for breakfast?
Always,
Crusty~

Sourish said...

jus came in randon to ya blog..loved da way ya described the morning..it was marveloous in one word

Pen and the Sword said...

Wow, when you get up early, you get up early! I bet it must be a great feeling for you, but I would have a hard time with it! :o) Hope your camera arrives.

Skotasma said...

Glad you had a sunrise - we had just fog today. But the rest of the day made up for it and its almost hot outside now :)
I get to see the sunrise every morning while drinking my coffee. But only autumn to spring, so I'm still waiting on every single one to catch up on all those I've missed in summer.
And I take pictures ;)
Almost can't stand to wait till you get your camera either - soooo want to see your pics =)

Rich said...

To me this is one of your best posts. It's truly good writing and a slice of American life thrown in with positive outlook.

I try to find one thing that I am grateful for each day, it works for me.

Good job

Nils Englund from Sweden said...

Hi, just wanted to say that I enjoyed your blog, I love watching through a window into the life of someone else , half-way round the world.

Feel free to check out my own blog, but unless you speak Swedish it will be of little joy to you.

Keep up the good blog!

Chandira said...

...waiting, waiting, waiting. That's me, for when you start posting photos!

:-)

outsi said...

so?? did it arrive??
i love those pre-dawn moments... specially when it is starting to light up.... beautiful

greetings!!
outsi

LORD MANILA STONE said...

I myself can't wait to see how the photos from your camera soon may look like. Hope you can share some photos with us. ^^

Beautifully Profound said...

Where in the bloody hell did you run off too! Hope everything is alright.

nengaku said...

Andrew - I think I forgot to tell you that I took a picture of a sunrise with Venus just for you the other day. You can see it here:
http://nengaku.blogspot.com/search?q=venus