Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Close Calls of the George Kind...

I noticed something amiss with George's car when I pulled up to Fat Albert's this morning.  A headlight was out and the quarter panel was badly dented.

"I hit a deer," George said, startling me, as he came outside to smoke a cigar.

"And pigs fly," I thought to myself.  I couldn't see any blood or animal hair. 

"What are you addicted to these days?" George then asked me to change the subject.

Misery loves company.

"I was addicted to Benadryl for awhile," I told him.

"Does it get you high?"

"Just makes you sleepy and dull," I replied.

"I'll stick with my bourbon and beer."

I drank several refills of coffee until I was growing to feel guilty for not paying.  I told George good bye and drove home wondering whose mailbox he hit last night while drinking and driving.  

6 comments:

becomingkate said...

Or another car. Drunk drivers scare the crap outta me!

Kristen said...

Andrew,

You have probably forgotten me by now! I have not posted to my blog in over a year. I am glad to see you are still at the other end of the link on whitelightofpeace.

Cheryl said...

I hope George drives slow and not far. I'm so glad you're not his drinking buddy anymore.

Leslie said...

Hi, Andrew, a friend of mine has been following your blog and she told me about it so I looked it up and I must say, I really get a kick out of your blog! I absolutely love it and I love waiting to see what you're going to write about next. Yesterday was the first day I came in so I have a lot of catching up to do. I commend you on everything you have been through and how well you are doing now. Addiction runs in my family, all sorts, so I know how hard it is to fight them. Anyway, thank you for bringing a smile to my face.

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

George could very well have hit a deer. It is my hope that he did so instead of what you are thinking, but you of course could be correct.

I wonder if George's mother would know the actual story?

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com

Brad said...

Just wanted to stop by and say hello - Sorry to hear about your Grandma. It's hard to say goodbye even if the persons had a long full life. Take care bud.