Friday, January 30, 2009

On the Right Foot...

I woke up this morning feeling better than I have for probably two weeks.  A winter's sun was shining through my windows.  Maggie was on the bed snuggled firmly next to me.  Soon, there was a knock on my door.

"I forgot my key," Helen said as I opened the door. 

Each arm held a bag of groceries.

"I got you some of that ice cream you rave about," Helen then said.

"Great! There goes my diet!" I thought. "Thank you," I replied.

I usually have trouble with small talk, but with Helen it is easy.  The conversation just effortlessly flows from one topic to the next. 

"I've got to leave early so today we will have lunch," Helen told me as she got the rice started. 

It was nice having someone in the house with me.  That's one of the major things I miss about having Rosa here with me.  The companionship.

Charlie came last night with my medications.  He brought his autistic son, Randall, with him.  Randall confuses Maggie with his behavior. 

"Horsefly, come sit next to me," Charlie told his son.

Maggie snuck over ever so cautiously to take a sniff.  She was then more relaxed.

Charlie kept asking me if I felt okay last night.  I told him I was fine.  I didn't want him to go to any trouble.  I think he had some Klonopin on him and wanted to give me some.  I am now regretting I didn't get some from him.   

5 comments:

Leann said...

Good morning Andrew. I know resisting the Klonopin is difficult, but I know you can do it if it's what you determine is the right move for you.

Take a look at the pics on last blog entry, I took them just for you :-)

Portia said...

I am so very glad you woke feeling better this morning! Helen and Charlie are awesome friends- not to mention the sweet Miss Maggie. I hope you enjoy your company and the home cooked lunch today.

Kathy said...

so glad you're feeling better.

kristi said...

LOL....my autistic son makes humans nervous sometimes!

The Hyperlexian Aspie said...

that's so interesting about the boy with autism making your pup nervous! i have a mild form of autism called asperger syndrome, and i've definitely come across this phenomenon in my research. it seems like auties can go either way with animals - totally bonding or estrangement.

i'm lucky... dogs like me... sorta... well, i love dogs, anyway! i'd rather roll around with someone's dog than have to talk to the human any day!