Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A Regular Handyman

I hate mowing my yard. I have a huge yard full of green grass that grows endlessly. It is a multi-hour affair that leaves me exhausted. I usually cut it with a push mower. Charlie has had an old riding lawn mower under my house in storage for years. I called him on his cell phone and he told me if I could get it running again I could use it all I want.

Getting this riding mower running again was a major accomplishment. The tires were flat, the oil needed changing, the carburetor and air filter needed cleaning, and the battery was long dead. I ended up spending $75 dollars just getting the damned thing in running shape again. I changed the oil and spark plug. I cleaned the carburetor and put fresh gas in the tank. I filled the tires up with air. I then went down to the auto parts store and exchanged the old battery for a new one which was my most costly expense.

I crossed my fingers after installing the battery hoping the engine would fire to life as I turned the key. It cranked and cranked and the new battery soon grew weaker and weaker. Finally, with one last turn of the key, the engine roared to life. I did a little victory dance of joy. A job that normally takes me four to five hours only took one on the riding mower. I got to sit on my lazy ass as I did circles around my house cutting the grass. Oh, the little joys and pleasures that are bestowed upon us in life!

George also came over to the house today and it was interesting. I have made it pretty clear to him that I value my privacy and don’t like visitors. He wanted something and just couldn’t stay away. I will try to write that story up this evening when I get some spare time. Now, I must get a shower and then get supper started. I am starving.

No comments: