Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Vampire Rises from His Coffin

I stayed up all last night unable to sleep and slept for most of the day. This is very unusual for me to do lately. It has also rained heavily and stormed for most of the afternoon and that only compounded the situation. The heavy rainfall and the comforting sound of thunder made me more the drowsier. What finally woke me up was an especially violent storm late this evening that spurred me to go unplug everything of value so it wouldn’t get hit by lightning. Every television Uncle Bob owns got hit by lightning last week so the thoughts about that are fresh on my mind.

I grow more excited about hiking the Pinhoti trail everyday the more I think about it. I even dreamed about it during my slumber today. The logistics of it are overwhelming though. I am not sure how long it will take me to hike 100 miles of unfamiliar territory. I am not one of those hikers that get in a hurry. I like to take my time and take in the surroundings. Things are worrying me such as will I be able to find enough water? Will there be places to re-supply my food stocks? How am I going to handle my bi-monthly injection? How is my family going to react to me being in the wilderness on my own and for several weeks? I am hoping my psychiatrist will agree to give me a temporary prescription for risperdal in a pill/oral form for the trip.

I did manage to get the topographical maps ordered. They should arrive late this week or early next week. That will allow me to plan in more detail were water is along the trail and where access to roads and towns are for re-supply.

No comments: