Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Joining the Ranks of the Employed

Today, out of the blue, I was offered a job. I had driven down to my father’s pharmacy to get some medicine for my recent problem of dandruff. He asked me to step in the back room so we could sit down and talk. I thought, “Oh shit! This is about my recent hike.” My father thinks my recent hike was kind of obsessive-compulsive/manic.

We sat down and he offered me Neal’s job. Neal is my father’s delivery van driver and is retiring after many years of service. I graciously shook hands with my father and accepted the job. I got very excited as this is the kind of job I can do well and will be within my limitations. It was also flattering that my father would trust me with such an important responsibility within his business. I felt I couldn’t say no and let him down. This goes to show how much our relationship has improved and evolved since my homeless days.

My duties are to deliver home health care products such as hospital beds, lift chairs, and oxygen units and to keep up with the corresponding paper work. I will also be responsible for making sure the Nursing Home accounts my father has get their medicines delivered on a daily and timely basis.

My official job title is “Independent Contractor”. He is going to pay me $10 dollars an hour and I will probably work three hours a day in the afternoon. I start tomorrow. Neal is going to show me the ropes and how to do everything before he leaves permanently.

I look forward to starting work tomorrow. This job will not be like a wage-slave job like flipping burgers at a fast food joint as I will be helping with the family business that will someday be part of my inheritance. It is also helping my father and that goes a long way in improving our relationship. It is also part time so will still allow me a lot of freedom and autonomy and I will not be overwhelmed. My father completely understands my limitations about my mental illness and will work with me on this. Anyways, I was just excited about it and wanted to share it.

No comments: