Sunday, August 21, 2005

Home at Last!

Well, I finally made it home. It was a great trip, but it was also very trying at times to say the least. I managed to make very good time despite my leisurely pace of hiking. I probably could have done this trip in two very rigorous and arduous days of hiking but that is not my style of hiking. The first thing I did when I stepped into my house was to take off and throw all my clothes on the floor and get in the shower. I haven’t had a bath and had sweated profusely for over three days and was feeling terribly grimy. That shower was one of the most refreshing and welcomed showers I have ever taken.

After arriving at my great aunt’s house this afternoon, I was going to call my father to come and pick me up and carry me home. What took me 3 and a quarter days to hike is just a 30 minute drive in a car. It turned out that him, Charlie, and my brother-in-law were coming over to the pond to clean it up some with lawn mowers and weed eaters. I stuck around and helped them with this task despite being exhausted and thread-bare from my journey. Dad fixed a wonderful picnic lunch of grilled and smoked chicken sandwiches. I greedily ate two sandwiches after 4 days of bland MREs. We also did some fishing and I caught three bass and one tiny bluegill bream.

After this post will follow a four part series of my journaling about my travels. I will post one journal entry each day for the next four days. That way you can follow along with me through my journey as it unfolded. I didn’t get to write as much as I wanted, but I hope you will find what I did write to be interesting.

Now I must catch up with my friend’s blogs and see what I have missed. I hope to find them all well and to have written some interesting things in my absence. The internet is one of things I missed most during my journey. Have a great day and thanks for continuing to stop by and read. The first post of my four part journal is just below.

Andrew

No comments: