Sunday, August 07, 2005

What You Can’t Say

I reread my post on homelessness a moment ago and kind of cringed over what I wrote. I was mainly just trying to proofread as I reread it. I am by no means an authority on homelessness and hope it didn’t come across that way. I was just homeless once and for a few months, but I still have opinions on the matter and feel strongly about it. That’s why I tried to stick really hard to why I became homeless, but the glaring fact of the lack of family support is telling so I had to add that.

One good thing about having a lesser read blog is that you can get away with indiscretions like today more easily. Hell, I am only getting around ten hits a day lately and these people are folks I consider friends and blogging confidants. (Thank you, blogging friends and confidants.) I sometimes have the urge to want to increase the traffic to my blog for egoistic reasons, thus my failed experiment with blog explosion, but I realize what I have now is a happy medium.

Anyways, I just found and read this following essay not long after I wrote my post on homelessness and thought it was interesting and wanted to share it. The following quote from the essay sums up my experiences, thus far, by blogging anonymously on this new blog with only a few people reading. It made me feel better about my little rant this afternoon and it was an interesting read to boot.

The trouble with keeping your thoughts secret, though, is that you lose the advantages of discussion. Talking about an idea leads to more ideas. So the optimal plan, if you can manage it, is to have a few trusted friends you can speak openly to. This is not just a way to develop ideas; it's also a good rule of thumb for choosing friends. The people you can say heretical things to without getting jumped on are also the most interesting to know.


It is a lengthy read but if you want to read the whole essay titled “What You Can’t Say” then click on the link below. (Pops in a new window.)

No comments: