Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Legs begin to Bulge

For the last two weeks, I have been doing some serious, hardcore hiking everyday. I am noticing muscles in my legs that I haven’t seen since last summer. I feel like this hiking machine as each day I grow stronger. Everyday I have added more weight to my pack and it is now up to sixty pounds. I can go for miles without getting tired or worn down. It is hard to describe what a good feeling this is; to set goals and to be able to accomplish them.

Yesterday evening, I went for a long hike out spring road and there were trees down everywhere. I counted over thirty trees destroyed. We had some good storms the other night and one of them must have spawned a small tornado or very high straight-line winds. It was a surreal sight and looked like a hurricane had blown through. Some of these large oaks were probably fifty or sixty years old and got felled in one night’s storm. I find that such a shame and a terrible loss of life. Sometimes, Mother Nature shows no mercy and this sight reminded me of that.

My blog shall fall silent until Monday at the earliest. I set out today on a little 4-day adventure of hiking and camping. This will be the shakedown cruise for all my gear. I just want to make sure everything is working all right and that I have the skills for my upcoming 100 mile hike. This hike will only be around 30 miles so it should be far enough to test my mettle, but not so far as to burn me out on hiking.

I am also a big railroad enthusiast so I will be hiking part of the way on the local CSX Inc. lines. This will take me halfway to Waverly then I will strike out on the back country roads for the rest of the trip. This should bring me to my great aunt’s house late Sunday night or early Monday morning. There I will stay until Charlie can pick me up on his way home from work in Dadeville as it will be on his way and I will not be a burden.

I will be taking a notebook and some pens. I will try to keep a daily journal of my activities and record anything interesting. These writings will be posted over a span of time next week upon this blog. All I will have to do is just to type them into my blog and publish them. Hopefully, this trip will prove interesting and it will make for an interesting blog next week.

Well, let me finish packing and then soon I will get underway. I hope you all have a grand weekend and a good rest from the work week. I will be busily putting the miles behind me as I make my way to God’s country (Waverly) and the great outdoors.

No comments: