Monday, August 01, 2005

Caught and I Can’t Escape

I knew this would happen but we fools have been known to walk blindly into traps. I haven’t seen great uncle Bob for weeks now as I have been avoiding him. I just knew if he were to catch me, he would get up some kind of task or road trip for me to perform. My greatest fears were realized today.

I had been feeling terribly guilty about avoiding him. After all, he is an elderly man who had just lost his wife of thirty years and is recovering from major heart surgery. My guilt finally overcame my better judgment and I drove over this morning to check on him. We talked for a while as he watched a taped baseball game from the other night. Finally, the hammer dropped.

“Grumpy?” Bob asked in his country twang voice. “I need you to take me up to Acworth to get some stuff finalized about the estate. Can you take me tomorrow?”

Acworth, Georgia is a two and half hour drive. I don’t know why he can’t use an accountant here in the valley. The accountant he uses up there seems kind of shady like a used car salesman.

“Yeah, I will take you,” I said with a depressed tone to my voice.

I just cannot say no to him for some reason. I said goodbye, walked out the door, and was kicking myself in the ass, figuratively, as I walked to the car. Why was I such a fool to go over? I knew this would happen and he wonders why I have been avoiding him. This is not something pressing or that needs to be done on an urgent basis. My father had told him that several days ago.

After I got home, I called my father to bitch.

“Dad, I told you what would happen,” I said. “I know he has been asking about me but that is why I haven’t gone over.”

“Well, shit son,” My father said sounding dejected. “You can’t even go around him without him getting you up something major to do.”

“That is why I have been avoiding him,” I replied. “I am his errand boy and he knows I am too kind to say no.”

So, my day tomorrow is completely fucked. I will spend all day driving him up there, waiting around a shady accountant’s office, and then driving the two and half hours home; all this for something that doesn’t really have to be done at this moment. It is about money. He is afraid his two step children are going to get most of the estate and wants to makes sure that doesn’t happen. Oh man, if I still drank, I would love a few beers about now. Hell, I probably would drink a twelve pack.

No comments: