Sunday, March 25, 2007

Agnostic Gnostic

I and Rosa drove down to a local western themed restaurant to eat today. Rosa was in good spirits and we laughed, talked, and had a good time on the drive down. I then gorged myself upon numerous pieces of fried chicken, stuffed crab, heaping servings of macaroni and cheese, and a green salad smothered in blue cheese dressing from the buffet. Rosa got the petite sirloin, medium well, and it was delicious as she gave me a bite to try it.
“What exactly is agnostic?” Rosa asked.

“It means I am not sure what I believe,” I replied. “I have an open mind to all possibilities. I used to call myself an atheist, but the term was just too constricting and divisive.”

On the drive home, Rosa fell asleep in the passenger’s seat as I turned down the radio and smoked numerous cigars as I drove up the interstate. We then stopped at a local truck stop to fill up my car and Rosa awoke to go use the bathroom inside. Filling up at that truck stop brought back so many memories of my big rig truck driving days. Not all pleasant memories, mind you, as truck stops can be seedy dives and I have experienced enough for a life time. We then got back on the interstate and headed back to the Chattahoochee Valley.

“Do you still go to A.A.?” Rosa asked me as I drove us home.

“I try to go on weeknights,” I replied. “I don’t like the weekend meetings...too many stodgy old farts.”

“I went a few times when I got sober after staying in a treatment center,” Rosa said. “I just couldn’t get into it.”

“It’s not for everyone,” I replied. “I struggle with the religious aspects of the twelve steps.”

“There is no God,” Rosa said, tersely and plainly.

“I really don’t know,” I said. “I am leaning agnostic these days.”

“What exactly is agnostic?” Rosa asked.

“It means I am not sure what I believe,” I replied. “I have an open mind to all possibilities. I used to call myself an atheist, but the term was just too constricting and divisive.”

We continued talking as I drove. I then dropped Rosa off at a friend’s house and came home to take a very, very long nap. I will never sleep tonight.

Well, let me get some supper started. You would think after all I ate for lunch that I wouldn’t be hungry, but I am starving once again. I think I may have a tapeworm or other assorted parasites. I am a bottomless pit as far as eating goes these days. Good night, gentle readers.

post signature

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I'd like to go to an all you can eat buffet with you. I think you'd be amazed by my stamina. I try not to go too often. I like my clothes to fit.

Good night to you, my friend.

abbagirl74 said...

Oh, you make me laugh. I hate being gone for so long. I miss reading you every day. Don't forget me, okay?

Leann said...

I'm so glad you had a good time. I love buffets, but they don't like me much, as I too like to fit into my clothes.

If you have time try reading some books by Sylvia Browne. She has some enlightening ideas on the Divine. Not religious by any means.

austere said...

:)
You sound good. Isn't being agnostic one more view of the road ahead?
that too, is all right.