Saturday, March 03, 2007

The Magical Hour Arrives…

Dawn is arriving sooner and sooner. Spring is on the way much to my relief. The magical hour started well before dawn this morning. It started with the shrill song of a redbird. I call it the magical hour in that it was such an important time during my homeless days. The nights would be so cold and I knew dawn was on the way followed by much, much warmer temperatures. The magical hour beckoned forth the flourish of the sun’s warmth upon which I would sit by my campfire as I warmed my hands.

I and Maggie had a good night’s sleep. I have learned to make ample room for her on my single bed. If I don’t, it will find her at my feet which will drive me crazy. I awoke this morning to find her lying beside me sound asleep. I petted her and she rolled over to snuggle up beside me. I then walked into the den to turn on my gas heater. Maggie plopped down upon the floor to lie in front of it to bask in it’s heat. Our routines are so singular and without fail when I am not drinking.

Pipe Tobacco is still in my thoughts this morning. I know he will not read this. The last thing on his mind would be the internet and his blogging friends during this terrible time of strife. I wish I could call him to offer my support and well wishes. Unfortunately, we have never talked on the phone despite our long history as blogging friends. I do wish him the best. God speed once again my dear friend and know that you are not alone in the least. Your friends are thinking of you.


post signature

6 comments:

Summer said...

The red bird was singing loudly this morning. I'm so happy to hear him as it means Spring isn't far away.

I left a message for Pipe over at his place. It's the end of a long struggle for both of them. I hope that there is some peace for them now.

DraMa said...

I am very sorry to hear of his loss. I can imagine how devastating it would be. Our thoughts are with him.

Andrew, it is so good of you to reach out like this... you have your own struggles and yet you can reach out and feel other's pain as well. You have such a magnificent heart.

abbagirl74 said...

Thanks friend. Thanks for helping me get the word out. Sorry that you had to read it on the blog, though. Thinking of you also.

LAB said...

I am so sorry to hear this about Pipe....I have gone and offered sympathy on his blog. I really hope this time will pass easily for him as she has been ill for a while. I also pray that he will be able to make peace with it in such a way that he is able to once again be happy!

Thanks for the information Andrew.

BTW - You seem to be doing better!

Lisa

fiwa said...

Thanks for the information Andrew. I read his blog enough to know he must be devastated, poor man.

Glad that you are feeling better. Hope you have some nice weather today.

Christina said...

So good to have you back... I loved reading about the redbird at sunrise.

I'm sure Pipe knows your thoughts are with him. He is lucky to have such a friend in you.