Monday, March 05, 2007

Can’t Leave Well Enough Alone…

...and it bit me in the ass. I completely screwed my good computer today. I managed to get my backup one working by adding an old Pentium 4 processor I had lying around and some spare RAM. S-L-O-O-O-W! This computer is so slow and choppy. I was so spoiled by my fast blogging computer and the RAID hard drive array I had set up using two 10K Raptor drives.

What happened was that I dropped a screw next to the processor causing the heat sink to not sit properly upon it as I was adding another Pentium 4 Prescott that was much faster and had a much better level 2 cache. DUH! *slaps forehead* The processor literally burned up within moments of booting the computer up. You could smell it in my den.

Dammit! When it rains, it pours. I can’t afford another at the moment. Hopefully, I can get a new motherboard and processor for my birthday which is the 12th of April. It is going to be a long March with this old POS. I have gone back 4 years in computer time as far as the technology is concerned. Oh well, you have to roll with the punches.

______________________________________________


I had a nice fellow in Scotland email me about the templates on my blogs awhile back. I am terrible with email. I just don’t have the time to write to everyone who emails me about this main blog. I do try. He wondered where I got my template ideas. Beautiful Beta is your one stop shop for all your nonstandard template needs. I gleaned most of my ideas from Hans. He freely gives out the code and his ideas, but you can make a pay-pal donation if you want in appreciation.

post signature

3 comments:

M said...

*sigh of relief*
I am glad you are home.


your computer problem is *whoosh* above my level of understanding. i like to turn on the computer and go...anything else is too complicated.

Kristen said...

Big bummer. I'll bet you've mentally slapped yourself several times for not being more careful. But accidents happen, and that is what they are, and there is no stopping an accident, by it's very definition.

Your birthday will draw ever near, and the new equipment will be a joy.

We will appreciate even more your posts knowing the effort you must make to do them. :)

Have a great night's sleep, and give that cuddly Maggie a big hug for me. I am exhausted and off to bed!

austere said...

April 12, eh? My dad's an Arian too. But you dont seem to be losing yur temper much.