Saturday, March 03, 2007

He was fine before he met her…

Rosa sat in my den at lunch eating a sandwich I had fixed. My friend in Canada has emphatically told me to not let these “street people” in my home as Carolyn calls them.

“You are looking mighty fine this morning,” She said with an alluring voice.

“Rosa, don’t get mixed up with crazy,” I said earnestly trying to divert her affections. “I am crazy as hell.”

“I find you one of the most interesting people I have ever met,” She said diverting my dismissions.

“You want another sandwich?” I said changing the subject.

I walked into my kitchen as I put some more roast beef on a paper plate to be warmed in the microwave. I slathered on mayonnaise upon a piece of bread as I added another slice of tomato and a piece of lettuce. I was standing there adding some salt and pepper to the slice of tomato as the roast beef warmed in the microwave.

“You sure you don’t want to crawl into the bed again?” Rosa asked as I stood there making that sandwich.

“I was drunk and lonely,” I replied speaking of our little foray into the bed a few days ago trying not to hurt her feelings.

“I’ll get you in the end,” She said smiling demurely as she ate that other sandwich.

I stood there speechless and unable to respond. I fear I am stricken drunk or not. Once in a blue moon has been the story of my life.

post signature

8 comments:

Jay M. said...

You should let Rosa know how important it is to you to remain sober. If she's a good friend, she should try to understand how hard it is for you, and not tempt you to drink.

At least that's one other way to let her know that it wouldn't be wise for the two of you to be together.

DraMa said...

The p.p gave great advice.

Don't get involved. For your own sake.

Cheryl said...

Andrew...you have to do what's right for you. I know you don't want to hurt Rosa's feelings, but you might have to.

Berryvox said...

Haha, I'm amused.

Sorry to hear about your short relapse a few days ago. At least it was short!

Cheryl said...

PS...I'm at the Apple store in Charlotte. How fun is that?

Sylvie said...

Hey Andrew!
I was very sorry to hear of Pipe's mom passing. (Pipe) You have my deepest sympathies.
I'm proud of you for picking yourself back up by the boot straps and dusting off.
I agree with Jay on this one...I'm sure Rosie, if is made to realize your vulnerability, would back off for a while and give you some time to get fully, back up on your feet. I'm not saying she has to stop coming by or being a friend...but to at least have consideration for what you are dealing with and not to bring alcohol around or to entice you into going to get some.
Good luck in whatever you decide. No matter what, it is ultimately up to you.

Sylvie

austere said...

You alone know what is good for you and what is not.
THIS in my opinion, and archaic conservative opinion is NOT.

Summer said...

My opinion isn't worth the powder it would take to blow it up, but...

I am reminded of what I read once, "When you decide to make a change in your life, you should surround yourself with like minded people." It helps with your success.

I think Carolyn wanted this for you more so than to control you as has been intimated by others in the past.