Friday, March 02, 2007

Thoughts on a Setting Sun…

The sun will soon set. The horizon is already awash in great swashes of orange, red, and yellow. It has been a good day. I am so very proud for making it another day without drinking. The deal with drinking is that it is a self perpetuating cycle. Once you start again, it is so hard to quit. That first hung over day after a bout of alcoholism is the toughest. You want another drink to quell the aftermath, the nausea, and the shakes.

I just walked outside to smoke a cigar. My elderly neighbor is aimlessly tooling around in his front yard. He works constantly, but the yard never seems to improve. It reminded me of myself.

Dear man, you are a more stalwart soul than I, I thought as he pushed his wheel barrow through the yard. The weeds were ever growing and he had yet to pull them.

He looked up to find me smoking and waved. I waved back heartily. Life goes on in this small town like it always has. The shroud of the deep, dark past few days has lifted. Life once again gets back on track.

post signature

8 comments:

DraMa said...

You are back.

That is a good feeling.

Rich said...

what clarity we have through sober eyes. Hang in there one day at a time dude.

M said...

I am glad you are back. I am having trouble posting today. Not sure if it is my computer, blogger, the internet or my fumbliness!!

Kristen said...

You are doing great. We are all sending good wishes.

abbagirl74 said...

It's so good to be home.

Cheryl said...

Glad to hear you being back to yourself. As always, ya know?

Leann said...

You've been given a tough road to hoe Andrew, there's no question. You should be giving yourself kudos for making it thru each day.

austere said...

Nice to hear that, Andrew. Really nice.