Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Good Ole Dan and an Early Birthday Present

I got behind Dumpster Diving Dan driving to Rodger’s Barbeque today. I noticed Dan drives at a snail’s pace which is stereotypical for senior citizens to do. He looked in his rear view mirror to find me behind him and waved. I pulled into Rodger’s parking lot and he followed me in after I had passed him.

“You got more of that Chef Boyardee this week?” He asked as his dog barked loudly at a black man walking across the parking lot.

“Mom bought me eight cans yesterday, all beeferoni,” I replied.

“Okay if I come by and get them this afternoon?” He then asked.

“Sure,” I said, warmly. “I will never eat it.”

Dan shook my hand and then pulled out of the parking lot of Rodger’s to go check the dumpster at the convenience store across the street that we both affectionately call Rectum. I walked in and got the super burger plate to-go and I put a picture of it on my photo blog.

I also had some very welcomed good news today. Charlie came over after lunch to talk to me. At first, I thought something was wrong as Charlie is usually always at work in Dadeville this time of the day.

“I paid some men to refinish your hardwood floors today,” He told me.

“You're kidding, right?” I asked, so surprised.

“Nope,” He said. “They started sanding them this afternoon. I gave them a key if that is okay by you.”

“Sure,” I said, ecstatic. “How much is this going to cost?”

“It’s your early birthday present from me,” Charlie replied as he patted me on the back. “I wanted it just as much as you did.”

I could have never afforded to get my hardwood floors refinished and am so excited about seeing them when the workers are done. I guess this means I won’t be putting in new carpet after all. I will post some pictures in a few days of how they look on my photo blog once the guys finish their work. It has been a good day despite a hard evening yesterday. Thankfully, life has a way of turning around at a moment’s notice like that. At least, my life does.

post signature

12 comments:

Augs Casa said...

Well don;t that just beat all. Congrats on the B-day present. I know you are going to love the floors. I had mine down a couple years ago and they look wonderful.

Trying2BMe said...

What a gift?! That is great that you'll have "new" floors. Personally, I'd trade carpet for hardwoods any day.

As for the rest, life is always on a turntable... just go with it one day at a time :)

Hugs, Tina

zirelda said...

Charlie Rocks!

My dad's name was Charlie and he used to tell a story about how once upon a time, everyone's name was Charlie. Pretty soon, people started lying and cheating and stealing and had to change their name to protect their identity. That's why there aren't very many Charlie's left.

mmm, maybe you had to be there?

LAB said...

How great that you are getting your floors done. I am so excited to see the finished product. I have always loved the way hardwood floors look. Here in AZ you can't really do hardwood because it is so dry, so we did pergo...not exactly the same, but it looks nice.

Glad to see you are feeling better as well!

mosiacmind said...

What a great gift! I am so happy for you. I slept last night and am hoping that the sleepless cycle is over for now. I will probably email you sometime later on tonight...take great care of yourself!

Xte said...

Congrats on the early bday present, hard wood floors beat carpet anyday!!!

I went and peeked at your lunch and it looked yummy.

Sounds like you are having a GOOD day!

fiwa said...

Wow! That's a great present.
I can't wait to see the finished product on your photo blog. (Which is the only place I get a glimpse of spring these days, by the way!)

Glad it was a better day.

Proxima said...

Yeah! I hope you will post new pictures of them when they are done.

Also, I have read your previous posts below. I wish I had magic and could heal you, but I don't. Being human certainly does have it's drawbacks sometimes huh?

At any rate, you hang in there and do the best you can.
*Hugs*
-P

MAY'S said...

that's great! i like to congratulate to u too..
but nothing i can give u as a present just big HI from me....

Summer said...

That was so nice of Charlie. You have great friends because you are a good friend.

Cheryl said...

I'm just happy that today was a good day. *grin*

Leann said...

Whoohoooo, I can't wait to see the floors Andrew.

Even tho I don't always post, please know I always read and enjoy each post.

Blessings
Leann