Friday, March 02, 2007

Close Computer Calls…

I am operating on just one computer these days. The bios battery in my server finally died after years of use. It is an older motherboard. I need to find a CR2081 coin cell battery somewhere to replace it. Maybe Dad can order me one down at his pharmacy next week.

Well, I just couldn’t leave well enough alone and decided to order some more memory for my main computer. I installed it, booted up through the bios, and it completely froze during the Windows splash screen. It took me thirty minutes to fix it and figure it out. I was booting to my spare hard drive that stores my music. This partition has a very old copy of Windows XP that I just saved to keep all my files and documents. I set my RAID array up as the bootable device and Windows Vista loaded fine. Whew! I got scared there for a minute and thought I had screwed something up badly. I would go nuts without a computer these days. It is hard to believe, but I didn’t even own one until I got married. Rachel constantly vied for my attention from that first computer. I was in technophile heaven.

Today will be a cool day. I ordered a new TV turner card for $40 bucks to use with media center in Windows Vista. My old TV tuner was circa 2000 and not compatible with this new operating system. I will be like a kid on Christmas day waiting for that sound of the big brown UPS truck pulling up outside. My package is already in Montgomery this morning and about to be on its way here. Ah, the marvel of modern internet package tracking. Good day.

post signature

3 comments:

Tiffanie said...

:)

austere said...

Argh. And bless you. Cant manage ANYTHING as you know, with that strange red-streaked monitor valid proof of my lack of expertise.

Kristen said...

Big hugs.