Friday, April 20, 2007

A Reunion of Sorts

“You’re still laughing,” Rosa told me this afternoon.

“I can’t help it,” I replied, giddily.

I had been down to Ferret’s campsite only to find a broken tent and a damp, long extinguished campfire. I wonder if Ferret must have a home. He certainly hasn’t been staying down at the river lately. I walked home and opened my back door to find Rosa sitting in my den with Maggie in her lap watching the television. She has learned I never lock my backdoor.

“What’s going on in schizophrenia land?” she asked me as she sat petting Maggie.

I walked in and pulled off my backpack and fleece pullover.

“Oh, I am having one of those giddy days where I laugh goofily at everything.”

“I love you when you get like that.”

“It worries me, but I can’t help it,” I replied.

“Read this,” Rosa then said handing me a hand written letter.

I took off my glasses so I could read better and was enthralled by what I read.

“She wrote you back!” I exclaimed, looking so excited after reading the short letter.

“That’s my little girl,” Rosa said, proudly. “And I have you to thank for it.”

The letter from Rosa’s daughter was very kind, but cautious. I can only imagine hearing from a mother you haven’t talked to in years, or a daughter for that matter. It was one small step to them getting back together. I felt overjoyed at Rosa’s good fortune and smiled gleefully at my part in this endeavor.

7 comments:

H said...

This is one of the happiest things I've read on your blog in some time... you have a good influence on people, andrew ;)

Berryvox said...

Three cheers for you and Rosa!

Monkling said...

Reading a story like that will make just about anyone giddy & smilin' over it.

Terroni said...

Now, I find myself wishing I could hear your giddy laugh. I love blogging, but sometimes it really leaves something to be desired, you know?

fiwa said...

That is wonderful news! I'm so happy for Rosa. I hope she can forge a new bond with her daughter. Good for you for helping to set that in motion!

I sure hope Ferret is ok, that's sort of worrying to hear that his campsite looks abandoned....

A_N_Nanda said...

I'm a first-timer at ur blog. And I read it whatever the current page showed me. I'd go through the older posts as time permits.

You write evocatively well. There is depth in what you say and profundity in what you feel. say like your fear of phone.

What--are u going to compile them into a book?

Sincerely
Nanda
http://remixoforchid.blogspot.com

KYRIE said...

I am so happy for Rosa. Wish her all the best! Hope bth of u have a cool weekend!