Friday, April 20, 2007

Strange Dudes

I and Rosa walked over once again to Rodger’s for ribs day. My father had put sixty more dollars on my tab yesterday so I and Rosa had plenty of money to eat on. These meals only cost $5.25 including the drink so I find it hard to eat up sixty dollars every week so I don’t mind Rosa helping me in this great culinary largesse. I wouldn’t tell my father that though.

“I noticed your tent was in the back yard this morning when I walked over,” Rosa said.

“I slept in it last night,” I replied.

“Doesn’t that scare you sleeping outside in town?” She asked.

I smiled. Little did she know, but I was truly crazy last summer.

“I used to just sleep on the ground in the backyard last summer every night,” I said.

“You can be so weird sometimes,” Rosa said. “That would scare the shit out of me and I would never be able to sleep.”

“I slept like a baby,” I replied.

Rosa and I left the restaurant and walked over to the shopping center looking for George.

“I still don’t like him,” Rosa told me of George.

“You two are my best friends and you don’t get along. I find that sad about the most important friends in my life.” I said. “I wish you two would make up and dismiss your differences.”

“The only way I would like George is that if he sobered up and quit being a mooch off of you,” She replied. “He uses you as a money lender and wouldn’t look out for you like I would.”

I realized Rosa was jealous of me and George’s relationship. She is actually competing and vying for my attention over George. I can’t say it isn’t flattering. I’ve never had people fight over me before.

Today, a very shifty looking new character was hanging out down at the shopping center. He was a white guy in his late twenties with a weathered beard and face. He looked like he had been exposed to the most extreme of elements and weather for months. Rosa, like George, has a sixth sense as far as people are concerned on the streets.

“I don’t trust that dude,” She said after he had left when he walked up to ask for a smoke.

I also got weird vibes from the dude and didn’t trust him as far as I could have thrown him. Luckily, he left to continue on with his journey to another town.

“That dude is on meth,” Rosa said after he had left the shopping center. “You could see it in his eyes and face.”

I don’t know what it is about the shopping center, but it attracts such interesting and many times nefarious characters. The summer months also see heightened activity down there as well. It is going to be an interesting May, June, July, and August. I will have lots to write about. Hang on to your britches cause it is going to be a wild ride.

7 comments:

La Cuoca said...

Very interesting blog. Kiss kiss

Jay M. said...

Please, don't stop writing about your daily musings, even if it sometimes seems like a broken record to you. It doesn't feel like a broken record when reading it.

Yes, some of the posts may contain the same main characters and involve food and smokes. But beyond that, every single day in your life has differences.

It's weird, but reading your frequently updated blog is kind of like therapy. A glimpse of a different life that is more simple, generally happy, and well documented.

A friend of mine is an archeologist and in Egypt for a while. She once said that the hardest part about travel like that is all the little daily things you miss out on in your friends' lives. The big events can be described pretty easily to anyone. It really is the little things that matter. Keep it up, Andrew.

Té la mà Maria said...

We have visited his blog-web and find it interesting, congratulations

There visits ours, the irreverent and iconoclast of the world,
is in Catalunya - Spain

Http: // telamamaria.blogspot.com

Thank you very much for the visit

Maria

abbagirl74 said...

WooHoo! I've got my suspenders on for the wild ride!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

as long as you steer clear from "the dude," I'll be along like Cheryl for the ride.

Have a great weekend my fellow blogger...you are truly inspiring.
Always,
crusty

EE said...

Can't wait!!

Melanie said...

been out of town at a show for a while, but wanted to stop in and catch up. i know what rosa means about the 'face of meth'. when i worked at job corps, we would get students coming in sometimes who were trying to shake a meth addiction. the stuff just ages you so terribly...there's an ashen-ness, a grayness to you. your skin falls apart, right along with your teeth and everything else. and your eyes get this dead look to them. even the kids who got better, it was like there was always something a little dead to their eyes after that. i grew up in a house where drug use was treated with a very cavalier attitude, but meth...that stuff is sooo scary. every picture i find online, i make my girls come look at it. i want them to see how bad it can get. kids are bad about not listening when they don't want to, but if i don't get anything else through to them, this one has to stick.

ok...time to go pass out for a while. :)