Friday, April 20, 2007

Heavenly Conjunction

Spent the night in my tent. I curled up in my warm sleeping bag and got around three hours of sleep. Blearily, I walked back inside to check my email, start some coffee, and light a cigar. I have found that Maggie thoroughly enjoys these little jaunts into the backyard. I wish she wouldn’t spend the whole time stiffly alert and barking. Each barking session starts like a muted cough and grows with intensity. I know she thinks she is protecting me, but there is little of harm in my backyard other than errant raccoons and ambling possums interspersed with the occasional stray house cat. All enough to keep Maggie in a frenzied, frenetic state. My homeless days in the wild woods taught me to be very unafraid of what goes on after midnight in the dark of the night.

I noticed last night after sunset a trifecta of heavenly goodness. A conjunction of Venus, the bright moon, and the red star, Taurus, splayed across the horizon in the early evening sky. I took a picture using the tripod Carolyn had bought me on E-Bay. The usual dark side of the moon was slightly illuminated by earthshine revealing features eons dark. My second choice of professions after being a meteorologist was aspiring to be an astronomer. I still have plans for purchasing a telescope and hopefully my blog advertisements will one day fund such a purchase.

My father went to see a play by Shakespeare last night with a friend, Henry V. I was invited to go, but my social phobias got the better of me. These damn phobias cause me to miss out on so much some days. I would have enjoyed seeing Henry V even though I have seen it in its various adaptations many times. My favorite adaptation was the film starring Kenneth Branagh.

12 comments:

laleche said...

That's just so beautiful.

alphabet soup said...

There are wonderful and amazing things up there in the night sky aren't there Andrew? You're lucky to live in a town with not so much light pollution.
Ms Soup

geoff said...

I'd take a wander through the bush to going to see Shakespeare any day. Maybe it is because I see going to a play as work partly Moreso I think it is just that no matter how good and acclaimed Shakespeare is I just don't enjoy Theatre in that form. even though I do appreciate it.

Summer said...

I saw the same heavenly trifecta last night.

Cheryl said...

I loved the color of the sunset last night, and was surprised by the intensity of the sunshine this morning. Our weather here is finally ready to show us what spring should be.

Glad you got to sleep for a while in your tent. I know how much you enjoy that.

abbagirl74 said...

I love these nights when you are able to sleep outside. It seems like you actually get some rest then.

Jenn said...

Lovely photograph.

zirelda said...

Very nice. I'm still afraid of what goes on in the dark after midnight. Fears from childhood maybe....

Cheryl said...

I'd love to see some new nature photos, especially since I'll be indoors all day.

fiwa said...

Glad you were able to enjoy a night in your tent, and what a beautiful picture.

It must be warmer in your neck of the woods? We're still getting down into the 30's at night. Brrrr....

Have a good weekend!
fiwa

Jbeeky said...

Great photo! Thanks for sharing your passion and talent with the camera!
Jill

madnilk said...

wonderful scene for such bright moon shine and that Taurus... so peaceful and tempting to see this picture...

i used to make some camp back then in my childhood, of cause with friends... unfortunately for now cause i live at 15th floor... hoping for a gathering with a good site camping...