Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Biscuits and Sausage Sawmill Gravy

“I’m starving,” Rosa told me this morning as we were walking past the car wash heading in the direction of the police department. “Let’s go get some breakfast.”

We made our way to Sarah Jay’s eatery as we talked. Rosa looked nice this morning and not her usual masculine self. You could even see a hint of makeup base on her face covering up the weathered blemishes that pockmark her skin.

“Did you ever catch up with Ferret yesterday?” Rosa asked.

“Nope,” I said, frowning. “George said he saw him downtown though.”

“He’s not thinking right. That mouthwash has pickled his brain,” Rosa replied. “He’s going to wish he listened to you about all that disability shit.”

“Well, they make it hard for the average person to navigate,” I said. “You have to jump through so many hoops to get it and keep it, that I wonder if it is all worth it these days. Throw in a month long drinking binge and your chances are slim to none. I would rather my tax money go to Ferret and not that goddamn farce of a war in Iraq, though.”

Rosa smiled and said, “I like it when you get all riled up.”

We finally arrived at the restaurant and I held the door open for Rosa. I have had a terrible bout with static electricity lately and the door shocked the hell out of me when I touched it. I scowled and cursed from the pain and the sudden jolt of voltage.

“You have an electric personality,” Rosa told me facetiously as she chuckled.

We both sat down and ordered biscuits w/ sausage and sawmill gravy. Rosa was giving me a hard time because I had my face stuck in this morning’s edition of the Atlanta Constitution. I was perusing the classifieds looking for old Chevrolet Chevelles for sale.

“My brother used to have a ’72 Nova,” Rosa told me as I looked over the newspaper trying to feign interest.

“Nova’s were pieces of shit compared to Chevelles,” I said huffily as I returned to my newspaper perusing.

I and Rosa finished our breakfasts and walked back towards the shopping center on this cool morning. The sun shone brightly as it rose above the horizon and was the perfect backdrop to a glorious spring day. I gave Rosa a hug and we parted ways near the convenience store. I walked home feeling so good and upbeat. It is going to be a great day and I can’t wait to get to enjoy it to the fullest.

10 comments:

kathleen said...

Andrew, what is sawmill gravy? I hope the rest of today is as wonderful as its beginning!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I love days like that. The ones when it seems that everything flows freely and smoothly...Im still in that glow from my Easter weekend-remember, I married a jewish man from florida and it's amazing to me that we can still have such a diverse holiday in our home...enjoy the glow that your day brought you..it'll help you when those dark days creap up out of nowhere and try to give you a run for your money.

And at the risk of not sounding matron like...be careful smoking those cigars in bed...the most common fires are those started in the bedroom from cigarettes and cigars!

Have a fabulous tuesday 4th ave blogger!
Always,
Crusty

LAB said...

I love sawmill gravy....my grandmother (God rest her soul) used to make it for us grandkids when we would help out on the farm...it was so good...I could eat it by itself....Gotta love good home cooking

La Cuoca said...

blog very interesting. kiss kiss

Timothy said...

i wish i could eat. all i seem to be able to do lately is drink...

it sounded like a good meal though...

Augs Casa said...

nothing like some good vittles to get you started in the morning huh amigo? well good for you, soon the weather will tunr for the better and you'll be working around the house or taking long hikes.

jose carlos said...

I like days like that, and i lyke your blog

José Carlos

Cheryl said...

Sounds like the start of a great day.

Amazing how in 2 sentences you were able to create such a vivid description of Rosa.

I'll be updating tomorrow. Thanks again for my new look.

austere said...

Static and jolt, huh? I've never seen that.

Anonymous said...

hey - are you an aquarius?
btw, you've got a great book here. don't stop writing. ever.