Thursday, February 26, 2009

Day Two: Walk-a-thon...

I woke up this morning at four and couldn't sleep.  Usually, when I get up, I am rearing to go.  I put on some clothes and noticed Maggie was sitting by the front door, wagging her tail, and looking at her leash on the piano.  "Come on girl," I told her and we headed out.  I only walked down to the elementary school and back.  About a mile.  I feel good, though.  I feel like I am doing something meaningful with my time.

I was thinking about dad as I walked.  For the past year, he has come every night to bring my medications.  He works all day and still manages to make sure I am mentally okay.  That is dedication folks.  Many people would say to hell with that.  He's a grown man.  Make him take his own medications.  At first, the paranoia almost got the best of me and I thought he was trying to control me.  Now, with my mental health as stable as it has been in years, I see he just cares about me.  I thought I would share that this morning as that has been prominent on my mind today.  

10 comments:

Kevin said...

good :)

Portia said...

it is all in one's perspective. i'm glad you've got a good one going on:) enjoy the walks. spring is coming!

Judy said...

You have a great family. I see lots of love there!

impromptublogger said...

What a nice thought and great way to start your day. I'm glad you enjoyed your walk.

Josie2Shoes said...

Andrew, I have really enjoyed watching the improvement in your relationships with your family over the past year. It is great to see you putting a positive light on things, our cups are always either half-empty or half-full and there are good sides to most things if we consider it. Those morning walks are good for you!!

Cheryl said...

It's good to be walking again...I'm right there with you. And I'm so glad things are good with you and your dad. There's ups and downs, but in the end, there's love :)

Kathy said...

Great! You walked more today!!!! Go Andrew!

happyone said...

Glad to hear you walked again today. Walking is so good for you!!
I look forward to my walk every morning. I'll think of you tomorrow when I'm out walking. :-)

Jami said...

Great post, Andrew! I love it that you are walking. I know getting active makes a huge difference in emotional and physical well-being.

I also love it that you see a different perspective on your dad's actions. As a parent, I can say without a doubt that all we want is the very best for our children, no matter how old they are. I would die for my child, and I know your parents would, too. It's an amazing kind of love. Just accept it, Andrew. It's just that strong! :-)

Summer said...

Family feelings aren't always easy. We all have our ups and downs. I'm happy to read how you're feeling these days. Your parents do love you, more than you know. And so does your Maggie Girl!