Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sincerity...

I've been trying some social experiments lately to try and overcome my social anxiety.  I watch dad a lot and have been trying to mimic him.   Helen was in my parent's kitchen this morning as I went over to get my sodas.  I put my hand on her shoulder and said, "It is so good to see you!"  I said it with the utmost sincerity.  You could see Helen relax and she gave me a big hug.

"What's gotten into you baby?" she asked.

"I'm just glad to call you a friend," I replied. 

"You want an extra special supper for Friday, don't you?"

I laughed and then woke mom up to let her know I was there.  I told mom how much she meant to me and how all she does for me makes my life so much more livable.  Mom mumbled something half asleep and I got my cokes and headed home.   

14 comments:

kristi said...

LOL! I think she knows you enjoy her visits AND her cooking!

forsythia said...

Keep on practicing your new "people" skills. It'll only get easier. We should never hesitate to tell another person how much he or she means to us.

TraceyBaby said...

Hi Andrew!

I love the way you write. Sorry I haven't been on much lately. So many blogs to read that I really can't keep up.

Love the snowy picture on your header.

~T~ ;o)

Kathy said...

What a great way to help yourself feel more at ease! You rock!

happyone said...

It always nice to hear a kind word from someone. It brightens the day for the receiver AND the giver.
Have a great day!!

Moonroot said...

It warmed my heart to read this. Well done you!

Portia said...

I love hearing about your experiments. Good luck:)

Leann said...

Good for you Andrew. I know it's difficult for you so kudos to you for stepping outside your comfort zone.

Cheryl said...

What a happy post. And an extra special dinner to come is a bonus.

justLacey said...

That was an excellent start and a perfect way to learn what to do and how to act. You are progressing in leaps and bounds.

Summer said...

I know she appreciated your kind words.

Cat said...

What a wonderful way to start your own day!

Mike said...

Bravo, Andrew! I deal with social anxiety too, and it is great seeing you finding creative ways to deepen your connection with your family and friends.

I know you rarely see me in these comment boxes anymore--still, I enjoy keeping up with your writing about your life.

Take care friend.

Mike

I'm The Momma, That's Why! said...

I swear, Sir Andrew - you're really doing soooo much! And it's all at your own pace! Bravo, my friend!

Grannie in Florida