Sunday, February 15, 2009

Strange Days...

Maggie started her "muted cough" routine about 4 AM this morning.  It is where she really wants to bark, but is afraid I will get on to her.  Moments later there was a loud knock on my door. "I sure as hell ain't answering the door at 4 AM in the morning," I thought. I waited about thirty minutes and then turned every light on in the house and outside.  Maggie then spent the next hour barking like a mad dog.  I thought I would never get back to sleep.

Later this morning, I drove over to mom's and dad's for my sodas.  Dad was gone to God's Country to see my great aunt.  Mom was in the bed. 

"I'm excited!" mom told me as I was petting her cat, Muffin.

"Excited about what?"

"Mother's inheritance she left for me," mom told me. "Your father says we are going to put it in certificates of deposit and I can live off the interest."

"I will know who to beg when I need a new computer," I told her jokingly. 

I was glad my grandmother left something for mom.  Mom and my grandmother never got along and I was fearing she would be left out of the will. 

12 comments:

becomingkate said...

I think that's wonderful for your mom! Retirement is something I worry about constantly.

impromptublogger said...

I think a little financial independence will do wonders for your Mom's self-esteem. And yes - perhaps she can give some of it to you and not feel guilty.

Kathy said...

Great about your mom's inheritance.
So who was at the door??

Lena said...

My question exactly, Kathy. So Andrew, who was at the door?

Great for your mom not to have been left out of the will.

She will like having some money of her own.

kristi said...

Wow, that is good for your Mom. I have a computer question, I got a new HP desktop and there is no Microsoft Windows! I have to use my old computer to open up word documents. Do I have to purchase a word program?? E mail me at butterflylady97@yahoo.com.

Thanks Andrew!

Leann said...

Don't blame ya. I would not be answering the door at 4am either!!

It's good to hear things turned out well for your Mom.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving some comments Andrew. I always enjoy what you have to say.

I'm The Momma, That's Why! said...

How great that Mom was excited - and that you are feeling so well that you can share the feeling with her!

Sleep well, friend - have a great Monday!

Grannie in Florida

Summer said...

Maggie makes a great burglar alarm!

Jenn said...

Do you think it was Rosa at the door?

Gulf Coast said...

Who was at the door at 4am?? My thoughts, Rosa?

Marsha said...

Once again your father makes all the decisions. Your mother is the one to whom the money was left. I would bet my $5,000 tax refund that he will put them in his own name.

Marsha said...

"Them" meaning the certificates of deposit.