Thursday, February 12, 2009

Religion Delivered...

It is 5:00 this afternoon.  Mom shows up at my house just as two Mormon missionaries visit. 

"Sorry boys," I told them. "I've got to unload my groceries."

"Help!" mom mouthed from her car.

I walked over and mom was having a terrible anxiety attack.  She was sweating profusely and looked pale as a ghost.

"It started at the grocery store," she told me.  "I am going to lie down inside."

Mom got to feeling better after laying down  That crazy dog, Maggie, jumped up on the bed and wouldn't get off.

"She's okay," mom finally said. 

Like mother, like son.  We both struggle with these things and our mental illnesses.  I am just glad she is okay.  I know how terrifying those attacks can be. 

7 comments:

becomingkate said...

Aw, your poor mom! I hope they pass soon.

I'm The Momma, That's Why! said...

I, too, suffer from those God awful attacks. Only have a couple a year - but seems like you never know when they're gonna come.

It's good that you and Mom have each other to lean on. Most people don't understand and think we should be able to control it somehow!

As for Maggie's participation. I think you know what she was doing. Dogs instinctivly know when someone isn't well - and will gravitate to them. Ours do it on a regular basis!

Glad you were there for Mom! Feels good to be the helper instead of the helpee, huh!

Grannie in Florida

forsythia said...

Two close relatives suffer from these, although they seem to be tapering off as these two get older.

Kathy said...

These attacks are more common than one thinks. Doesn't make them any easier, I know. So what did the Mormons do?

Cheryl said...

I was so alone when I had my anxiety attacks. No one I knew could really understand what I was going through. You and your mom are so lucky to have each other to get through them.

Ellie said...

Bless you and your mother and your family! (back from mars and ready to blog again)

Summer said...

Happy Valentines Day my friend.