Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The 3 Dollars of Doom!

Dad had cooked homemade chili and grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch.  Unfortunately, I had my mind set on other fare.  I was over at my parent's to get cokes and cigarettes.  Mom keeps a big sack of 20 oz Coca-Colas on her car's backseat and usually keeps two cartons of cigarettes in her closet.

"Do you want your 3 dollars?" mom asked.

Just as I was slipping the money in my pant's pocket, dad poked his head in the door.  It was a damn close call and he would have ripped my mother a new one if he saw her giving me money.

Does anyone else see the absurdity in all this?  I will be 37 years old in April.  I keep reminding myself that I voluntarily gave up the money this last time.  I just didn't feel secure in my sobriety.  It makes it a less bitter pill to swallow.

7 comments:

becomingkate said...

That hyper-vigilance is an unfortunate side effect of loving an addict. I wish it were different...and hope it improves for you and your family over time.

Kathy said...

Just keep looking at the sobriety counter on your blogsite. It's impressive, Andrew.

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

I guess I would say I am one who does find "absurdity" in the scenario you mention. I believe you are far more capable and creative than you allow yourself to be currently, and it feels very harsh for you to be under such a tight leash.

I worry that you may have substituted Klonopin for your creative spirit and robust desiring for freedom.

You are a great fellow, and I wish you really saw that in yourself, for then I believe you would be able to soar to heights of success and robust living beyond your imagination.

As always, your friend,

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com

Leann said...

There is absurdity in everyone's life Andrew.

I'm The Momma, That's Why! said...

Sir Andrew,

You know that Royalty never carries money! They have minions that handle those unfortunate details for them!

side story: My dad was a very famous race car and race boat builder back in the 50's, 60's and 70's. We had built a few boats for the Secret Service and King Hussein of Jordan liked them so much that he ordered several. I used to giggle every time I sent them invoices for boats, engines, parts - whatever . . . they were addressed to "The Keeper Of The Royal Purse", Amman, Jordan!

So - I guess we should just title your Mom as THE KEEPER OF THE ROYAL PURSE!

Find humor where you can - and just think . . . you're $3 closer to buying that new game you wanted!

Sleep well,

Granny in Florida

justLacey said...

Lots of good comments...all of them true. I am still here, just struggling in my own life at the moment, but I still read and I'm glad you are doing well.

Judy said...

Your parents are doing the best they can and so are you. Hang in there.