Thursday, April 09, 2009

No Bourbon for You...

"If you go to AA, are you allowed to drink on a moderate basis after you've been sober awhile?" was the curious question George asked me this morning.

"Abstinence," I replied. "You are supposed to never drink again."

"That sucks donkey balls," George said frowning.

I couldn't help but laugh.  It was an innocent enough question.

"You thinking about going to AA?" I then asked.

"Hell no," George said. "They're a bunch of religious, brainwashed kooks."

George might be opposed to AA, but he always asks me questions about it.  He has this fascination with the subject.  I didn't tell George this, but I rarely go as well these days.  Every time I go, Phillip, the local AA patriarch asks me if I am sober and miserable. 

"Your miserable despite being sober," he will tell me. "You need to work your program."

I don't have the heart to tell him I've been feeling pretty well except for my bouts with my mental illness. 

A few months ago, I went to an overeaters anonymous meeting and really liked it.  The drawback?  It was a very long drive.  A drive I can't afford often. 

5 comments:

Kathy said...

What is the purpose for such a question? Sober and miserable? Could the answer ever be "Sober and joyous!"?

kristi said...

What a pep talker.

becomingkate said...

I found that lots of folks from AA like to accuse you of being a "dry drunk". If it helps people, good, but there are aspects of it that are hard to take.

Summer said...

Phillip needs to be smacked.

Armando said...

I saw Yes Man last night. I guess AA is pretty much the same thing, but NO to liquor of course. I won’t spoil the mobile, but you will understand if you watch it.