Sunday, July 15, 2007

A Grit is a Grit


I grew up eating hot, steamy, buttery bowls of grits – the kind of grits that would stick to a spoon and the bottom of a bowl, and still melt in your mouth. I have heard northerners ask, "What the hell is a grit?" and it never fails to make me laugh or smile. Of course, it was once poverty food in the South, and just like cream of wheat, you have to grow up eating it to appreciate it.

Getting me to school was always an ordeal and dad, not mom, would fix a big breakfast to kind of soften the coming blow. I was a big kid, loved to eat, and could be persuaded to do anything after a hearty home-cooked meal. "Breakfast's ready!" dad would holler from the kitchen as I would be pulling on my Sketchers and tying the laces. Me, my brother, and sister would all run to the kitchen as dad ladled up that thick and creamy porridge-like concoction into bowls. If we were lucky, dad would be the adventurous Southern chef, and throw in some sharp cheddar cheese. Man, that was some good eatin' as they say in the South.

Breakfast was always the most important meal on my grandmother's farm, but I never recall her serving grits. She grew up in the Great Depression in farmland Alabama and said they were so poor that they ate corn in everything and she had eaten enough for a lifetime. Cornbread. Grits. Hoecakes. Hominy. Corn sticks. Corn soufflé. You name it and somehow they incorporated corn into it. It is a wonder they didn't find a way to eat cotton – the cash crop of the South and most widely grown. In my grandmother's later years, she believed in eating bacon or sausage every breakfast – a precious commodity when she was a child and something only served on special occasions as slaughtering a hog was an all-day celebration and holiday that seldom occurred. I take eating bacon at breakfast for granted every morning.

And since we are on the topic of grits and breakfast foods, I think I shall go mosey on into the kitchen and simmer a pot of cheddar cheese grits with a side of bacon. I'll see ya'll later.

17 comments:

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I've always loved grits.
My friend makes them by grinding up beef jerky in that as seen on tv grinder thing, adds feta cheese and then the grits..YUM!

I for one like my grits with lots of cream and sugar in it-coffee cream-not milk.
I know, odd, but still very good.
Always,
crusty~

nengaku said...

A friend from No' Carlina once told me that if you don't pronounce "grits" with two syllables you can't be expected to know what they are.

Cheryl said...

I've never had grits, though I think I would like them. I do love cream of wheat with salt and butter. I have oatmeal every day with unprocessed bran flakes, fiber 1 cereal, flax seed, ground flax, and craisens, plus salt and milk. I get most of my fiber in that power-packed breakfast. And, I never get tired of eating it.

Days Like These said...

Can I just say I love, love, love your blog :)

the scholar said...

Hi Andrew,

I've been reading your blog with great voracity for some time now, and I want to tell you that I think it's great! I feel like I'm peeping into a porthole and watching you everyday, thanks to your very inclusive writing style.

Anyway, back to grits: I went to college in New Orleans and lived there for some time thereafter. Cream of Wheat is the poor man's grits! I love and miss their buttery, creamy goodness.

Thanks for reminding me of a different kind of southern comfort -- and keep up the good work! :D

Josie Two Shoes said...

Being a Yankee girl from the Midwest, I've never eaten grits in my life, but you certainly are making it sound good!! :-)

me said...

Hi Andrew, I jus started blogging and you are my first whom I found clicking "next blog".
You have very interesting blog.
I grew up eating grits too.
Keep up your good work and wish me good luck.

Eric said...

Grits and gravy is also great. My ex, who was raised in California, tried to make instant grits when we were married. We are now divorced, end of story...lol

♫☼Dra.MaryBoBin's☼♫ said...

I like too grits!! and yeha jaja u neeed grow up to understand how great r the grits..[ my english..it's a little bad jeje sorry! ]
so so Nice Blog.
You describe everything like a move..i can imagine everything tha u write.
122448

♫☼Dra.MaryBoBin's☼♫ said...

i mean..movie, no move (*_*)" hehe. sorry
122448

justLacey said...

This post reminds me of my dad (who is from Alabama). My mom is a northerner from upstate NY and also half Cuban, so I have been exposed to quite a culinary buffet growing up. My dad would often make corn bread and then break it all up in a glass and fill it with milk. He also loves fried okra of all things. The one thing my parents could never agree on were the dumplings in chicken and dumplings. My dad likes them all squiggly and worm like and my mom likes them big and fluffy.

I think you're crazy just like me said...

Speaking of northerner's lol, I sure would qualify as one. I have never tasted grits, ever. There is a restaurant somewhere downtown where the man serves nothing but fare from back home... somewhere in Southern States. Im sure HE would have grits on his menu! Have to find out now...

Tee said...

I love cheese grits. After all, I am a G.R.I.T.S - girl raised in the south.

Tee said...

By the way, real southerns would NEVER put sugar and cream in their grits, just lots of butter, salt and pepper or lots of sharp cheddar cheese. :-) There's nothing better than leftover cornbread in a big glass of cold buttermilk. Yum!

Leann said...

My children were raised in the south as we spent at least 10 yrs in Alabama. They both love grits. To this day I can't stand them.....but in all fairness I don't care for Cream of Wheat either. Not so much the taste as the consistancy....ewww....my daughter has taught her daughter to like them tho.

bad-dog said...

I had grits for the first time last year in Alabama & Mississippi and I LOVED them! They reminded me of the rice porridge we sometimes have for breakfast in Japan. The rice porridge is kind of a comfort food - Mom makes it when you've got a cold, like chicken soup. I guess that's why I like my grits savory, not sweet. Butter, salt, pepper...grated cheese...mmm!

ionvasile said...

ehudhuwqdjqwdujwqud