Thursday, September 04, 2008

Centered...

I went to an early morning AA meeting today.  I thought I wasn't going to make it.  I have trouble with day to day tasks that most people take for granted.  I shed a few tears in the shower trying to will myself through it.  Shaving was laborious and cringe inducing. 

Wanda was there this morning.  She had just gotten off her nightly shift at the hospital.  She regaled me in tales of the various patients that came through last night.

"You wouldn't believe some of the characters we see," she told me. "Drunks all night doing stupid stuff."

"Kinda makes you glad you are sober.  Doesn't it?" I asked her.

She agreed and did something completely to my surprise.  She gave me a hug out of nowhere. 

"Thanks," I said blushing.

"You looked like you needed it," Wanda replied.

I wanted the hug to last forever, but it was just a short embrace.   I've always been a very touchy feely person despite my social anxieties.  I love to shake hands and grasp shoulders.  I realize some people are uncomfortable with that.  But Wanda's hug was the best thing that happened to me today.  There was a spring in my step and a feeling of bravado in my voice for the rest of the day.   

12 comments:

Chandira said...

Here's a hug Andrew! I'm a hugger too. You can't beat them. Best medicine ever.

:-)

C.A. said...

If I could, I'd hug you, buddy!

Happy day!

C.A.

Brad said...

Ok dude, Man hug here - in a manly way - LOL

Glad you had a real hug today.

shinyruby2 said...

HUGS xxx

2sunset said...

The longing for touch is something I can relate to. I think that what we truly subconsciously long for is a time when we were very young and we would get lost in our mother's embrace. It was entirely safe there, and we were adored there. Too young yet though to know what self doubt and difficulties lay ahead in our lives.
We give those same feelings to our children and extend similar feelings, I think to our pets.
The safety and adoration can only be experienced in our adulthood through openess to the love of God - its there always waiting to be allowed to embrace and adore you.

Leann said...

I too am a pretty touchy feely type Andrew. One of the drawbacks of living alone.

**big hugs to you Andrew**

CRUSTYBEEF said...

Here are some hugs from myself, my boys and Bigdogg!!

Hugs are helpful in getting us through the itchy parts of our lives.

always,
elizabeth

Have a good friday!

forsythia said...

Do you rent CD's or videos? "28 Days" is a good one. We watched it Labor Day Weekend. Twice.

Karin's Korner said...

Andrew, If I met you...I would give you a big hug. I am so proud of you...290 days, that is incredible. I also have a counter but it is from smoking and today it is 978 days. I have NOT smoked 11742 cigarettes and saved 2 months, 29 days and 16 hours of my life so far. Also, I have saved $ 2055.90 dollars. The site that keeps track of this is quitnet.com if you ever feel the need to quit smoking. It is free and I used to get updates in my email all the time but as time has gone on, they are fewer and fewer but I go there and check it out once in a while to see how long it has been.
Anyways, this is turning into a big comment, really just wanted to tell you that I would hug you.

Good Luck my friend!

Upsy-Downsy said...

Tell us a little more about Wanda, if you care to. How old, does she live near you, is she single, etc.

Also, I have said this before, Andrew, you have such an interesting way with the use of words in your posts and on twitter. Have you ever thought of writing short stories or novels. You seem like a natural. (If Stephenie Meyer of Twilight can do it, so can you).

CJM-R said...

I think they say we humans need about 12 hugs a day for good mental health. That is more than most people would get a day, I would say.

So glad that hug made your day....

We are headed into a tropical storm warnings down our shore line area this weekend. Already the wind has picked up around my town. Should be interesting.

Cheryl said...

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I wish there were volunteer opportunities for you. I wish you lots of hugs.