Wednesday, September 03, 2008

One Giant Leap for Mankind...

I bought cigarettes today.  On my own.  I actually had thirty dollars in cash in my wallet.  I walked past the beer cooler and didn't even flinch.  Budweiser, see ya.

Usually buying cigarettes is a complicated affair for me.  I have to call mom, make sure she is awake, and drive her down to Fat Albert's to write a check.   I am always horribly embarrassed that mom writes a check for a carton of cigarettes.  The cashiers act totally surly about it.

I could have easily bought a case of beer.  These little victories on the road of sobriety mean so much to me.  It also felt so good to just drive somewhere and buy what I need, and it not turn into something as complicated as rocket science.   

14 comments:

Jenn said...

Good for you! You should be very proud of yourself :)

Mo said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO proud of you and happy for you!

Cheryl said...

You've come a long way, baby!

That was the slogan for, I think, Virginia Slims cigarettes a long time ago, BTW.

You're doing so well! I'm still amazed after all this time, and it will only get easier.

Jami said...

That's excellent, Andrew!

(Don't you think Maggie needs a companion? I have the perfect puppy for you ... besides, I always wanted to make a trip back to Auburn. When I was right out of college, I went to grad. school at Auburn, but I was still not well enough in dealing with my eating disorder, so I didn't make it. I ended up having to come home to Amarillo. I always swore I would go back some day. Despite the trauma of the e.d., I have fond memories of Auburn. Also, the pastor at my church came from Opelika!! He's been with us for about 7 or 8 years now.)

Sorry. I digressed. Puppies. Successful day at the store.

Excellent. ;-)

Jbeeky said...

That is awesome, Andrew. I love how honest and clear you are.

(M)ary said...

hey, i see over to the left you have a list of "followers" but o far only one official follower.

i think you have more than one peron following your blog!!

ps what is the difference between following and stalking and lurking?

(M)ary said...

typos in my comment! been a long day. sorry.

Brad said...

Hogh five buddy! Well done you. It's good to hear it's just a bit easier today. ***SMILE***

simonsays said...

That is so awesome! I am quite proud of you, too. Hugs. :)

Moonroot said...

Yay Andrew!!!

forsythia said...

YAY!!

Jessica said...

So happy for you! :) Awesome!

Leann said...

Kudos to you Andrew!! I'm so very proud of you!

Mongolai said...

Even if your "Followers" never get out of the dozens, don't forget: Like it or not, you have had an impact on many lives beyond what you can imagine.

Also, almost 290 days! That's almost 300!

Stay well, vicarious friend!