Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Great Thanksgiving Had By All...

We had a great Thanksgiving.  All of my family and Charlie's family joined together for a meal.  My favorite part was my father's homemade yeast biscuits.  I could eat twenty of those things.  The turkey was so moist and tender and not at all dry.  And it wouldn't be Thanksgiving if it wasn't for lots of delicious casseroles.  

Dad was ready for me, as well, with lots of drugs. 

"You sure you won't take your Klonopin?" he asked me. "You will be less nervous."

"I am okay," I replied, feigning resilience.

Dad kept seeing my hands shaking nervously. I didn't want to take any drugs to mar the experience.  It was the first Thanksgiving I had attended in a long time.  Previous years I would stay home due to my social anxieties and wait for my mother to bring me a plate of food. 

My sister's daughter will soon be two years old.  She took the cake as the cutest member of our little entourage.  She would run and grab a toy to bring to me with the biggest, shyest smile.

Now, it is late Saturday afternoon and getting darker by the moment on this overcast day.   Football is on to capture most other's attention.  The much ballyhooed Auburn vs. Alabama game is on -- the big rivalry.  I am home wasting time on the Internet trying to avoid football if at all possible.  Hope y'all had a good Thanksgiving as well.     

13 comments:

CJM-R said...

I was thinking about you on Thanksgiving day as I sat around the table with family. I thought about how your family would be bringing you dinner.

So happy to hear that you were able to attend and enjoy yourself and that your family had the pleasure of your company. Aren't 2 year olds fun?

Take Care Andrew!

justLacey said...

Wow, you did so well. I am amazed, I knew you could do it and now you do too.

jrlmx2 said...

Andrew, I remember your Thanksgiving last year. This year was a first for me, too, as I spent it with my parents for the first time in probably 20 years. What a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction that I can finally do it! yay!

jrlmx2 said...

congratulations!

Cheryl said...

Amazing Andrew! I'm thrilled that you weren't alone :))

forsythia said...

So happy to read this. You gave me an idea for a bumper sticker for everyone's car:

"Feign resilience. Practice makes perfect." :-)

skinny minny said...

So proud of you. Glad it was a good day for you and your family!

(M)ary said...

I am so glad you made it to the family festivities this year!

Sharon said...

I'm so glad that you had a good Thanksgiving. Enjoy your family, they love you and they mean well, even if they don't fully understand you. My Mom passed away three weeks ago and my Dad has Alzheimer's so Thanksgiving this year was difficult, but with my husband, son, sister, and the rest of the family we somehow got through it. I KNOW things will get better for everyone.

Leann said...

I'm so pleased you had a wonderful thanksgiving Andrew. It's always fun to get to gether with family. We play games and generally harass each other...lOL

simonsays said...

It sounds like a perfect family day Andrew! Well, other than the stuffing. :)

Hugs.

Eric Valentine said...

Good to see you enjoying life Andrew, stay well.. :)

Syd said...

It sounds like it was a good day Andrew. I'm not a fan of football either. I'd rather be reading. And I like the cornbread stuffing of childhood--southern style.