Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Dope Man...

The phone rang at 7:30 AM.

"I am coming to get you to get your shot," my mother said on the other end of the line.

I hung up the phone after saying thanks for the call and muttered under my breath, "It's too damn early for this."

Once again, I put my life in my mother's hands and let her drive.  She was still asleep as well.

"How did you get harangued into doing this?" I asked her.

"Your father," mom replied. "He is afraid you won't go."

I chuckled.  I have been amusingly calling my father "the dope man" lately.  The amount of pills he wants me to take keep increasing.

"Don't you get tired of taking all these pills as well?" I asked mom.

"Your father would kill me if I even mentioned going off some," she replied.

"The dope man" was glad to see me when I walked into the pharmacy.  He pushed the green box of Risperdal Consta across the counter towards me with a devious smile.  Medicare part D was billed $524 dollars for this one injection. 

"You will feel better in a few hours," he told me. 

My shoulders slumped as dragged myself out of the pharmacy, into mom's car, and down to my doctor's office.  The good thing is that I am feeling better already.  I struggled with my anxiety attacks all weekend thus the lack of writing.  I have a love/hate relationship with all the medications I am on.  

9 comments:

Syd said...

If they are prescribed and make you feel better, then it's worth some peace of mind.

Jay M. said...

I understand the mixed emotions about medication. It's funny, because people turn to a lot of things to make themselves feel better, or normal. Many turn to drugs or alcohol.

I think what you've been able to do is realize that a few prescription drugs are giving you a better quality of life than not taking anything at all, or drinking to kill the anxiety.

It's awesome that you've been able to stay sober for over a year. Everyone is so proud of you. Keep it up, Andrew.

impromptublogger said...

Our society has told us from a young age that taking medications (especially for men) are a sign of weakness. It is sad that even you feel a bit of a stigma about it. But since you know that it is a hereditary chemical imbalance you can feel totally guilt-free.

(M)ary said...

I am sorry that you have been having the anxiety attacks! I can also sympathize with your relunctance to take so many meds...but if you feel better, that is the bottom line. Especially, if feeling better means you write more.

Funny, the reputation is that artists and writers have a touch of madness, but the truth is too much depression and anxiety makes it impossible to actually be creative.

(M)ary said...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Summer said...

Happy Thanksgiving Sugah!

justLacey said...

Not sure what you are up to today, but I hope you are feeling well and that you and your family have a nice Thanksgiving.

simonsays said...

I sincerely hope your Thanksgiving was awesome. Hugs. :)

kristi said...

I hope you are feeling better. And I hope you had lots of turkey! And other goodies!