Friday, November 14, 2008

Vampire Romance + Teen Angst...

"Twilight!" mom explained after a temporary lapse of memory when I asked her what books she had bought today.

I had just driven over to get some soft drinks for my daily caffeine fix.  From what I've heard online, these should be some interesting books for mom to read.  I am wondering if she will like them.  She disliked Harry Potter.

Mom then asked me about my magazine on tropical fish.

"I always pick the most expensive hobbies to be a poor man," I told her chuckling.

"Well, maybe you will get an aquarium for Christmas," mom told me.

I wasn't going to get my hopes up.  Last year, I wanted curtains for my house for Christmas and they never materialized.  I never did get a Christmas present from my parents.  I just chalked it up to how much they do for me year round.  I really couldn't complain. 

As I was leaving, I walked downstairs into the foyer and then into the basement.  Inside the fridge was ANOTHER gigantic bottle of wine.  I muttered obscenities under my breath as I grabbed three Diet Dr. Peppers.  It had been almost a whole year and the desire to drink is still there.  Albeit muted.   A year ago, I would have drank the whole bottle as I stood there without a care in the world.  Is this some sign from above that I am getting better?  I do know that I will always be an alcoholic though.  There is no cure.  The obsession just lessens over the years I hope.   

7 comments:

Jenn said...

I wonder why they didn't get you the curtains? It seems pretty rude to not get you a christmas gift.
Nice job avoiding the wine. That was a tough temptation!

justLacey said...

Crap, 5 more days and it's your "re-birth" day. Can you believe it's been a year of sobriety already?

Karin's Korner said...

Hey Andrew...I thought your parents gave you a new camera for Christmas last year. Maybe it was the year before??

Tee said...

Look at you! Only five more days until your year birthday. One day at a time.

Cheryl said...

The obsession does abate. I never thought I'd see the day that I didn't crave cigarettes, but it's totally gone.

Who's drinking all that wine at your folk's house?

Summer said...

I vividly remember the curtains last year.

I'm so proud of you and your sobriety. It makes me smile.

TraceyBaby said...

You definitely are getting better. You sound great! Overcoming alcohol is a major accomplishment, to say the least.