Friday, November 28, 2008

The Stuffing that Wasn't

We all gathered around the table in the dining room for our thanksgiving meal.  Mom sat next to me with Al, Charlie's son, to my left.

"Is this supposed to be stuffing?" mom asked with her nose turned up high as she chased a morsel around her plate with her fork.

"It has sausage in it I think," I replied.

"Sure wish we had you father's stuffing."

My cousin Johnny insisted on making the stuffing from some frou frou French cookbook. 

"You will all love it!" he decreed. 

I just got off the phone tonight and me and mom were heartily laughing.  My father has joined the bandwagon. 

"Next year we are having mother's stuffing southern style."

I started clapping and mom did as well.

11 comments:

Eric Valentine said...

Ahh! The proof of the pudding! ;)

Kelly Jene said...

Hope you enjoyed the day!

forsythia said...

Our neighbor spent a lot of money last year for Thanksgiving dinner at the restaurant of a world-famous "frou frou" chef. Never again! They were given a tablespoon of cranberry sauce and 3 undercooked green beans and the stuffing was weird.

Summer said...

Nothing like old recipes from family. I'm glad you had a good day!

Jessica said...

Hope you had an awesome day! Love the new header. :D

Tee said...

"frou frou French stuffing" ROFL!!!! There is nothing better than southern cornbread dressing! I have my grandmother's time-tested recipe. I always use it and everyone loves it.

(M)ary said...

I remember the year our mom made oyster stuffing. We hated it because it was different. After that, for many years, she made two stuffings, the old fashioned kind and anything new she wanted to try.

I have to say now I kind of like oyster stuffing.

Bridget said...

Well, if you'd like an easy Southern-style stuffing recipie (one pot and about 1/2 hour of prep/cooking work), e-mail me and I'll send you mine. Stuffing is the core of the meal and that's got to be right!

Hope your Thanksgiving was good otherwise...

Jean said...

Reminds me of someone else's family dinner to which I was once invited. The host made oyster dressing aside from the huge casseole of regular dressing. Everybody went wild over the oyster kind, so he took what was left outside and set it on a post so he'd have leftovers. The cats go into it and ate it all.

You never know what will be popular.

Trailboss said...

Oh hun, can I ever relate to the stuffing issue. My son in law makes stuffing that is worse than Stovetop stuffing. My husband asked me to volunteer to bring the stuffing next year!

EE said...

There is nothing worse than bad stuffing!!!