Saturday, November 15, 2008

I Don't Tango. I Don't Waltz...

Charlie's son, Alan, came to see me tonight.  It was a surprise visit and set my social anxieties into overdrive.   "What will I say?  I am not dressed for this.  Dog hair is every where," all raced through my mind.  Luckily, Al took the lead in this little social waltz or tango.   Gregarious as ever, he laughed and talked and I soon felt at ease. 

Maggie, on the other hand, thought little of this strange human with many muted barks and uneasy walks to try and sniff Al.  I had never seen her act so peculiar.  It was almost comical.

Al left and I sighed with relief.  I felt as if I had been on stage for 30 minutes performing.  I called Dad knowing he probably encouraged this to happen.

"Why didn't you tell me he was coming?!?" I blurted out over the phone.

"I knew you would back out," dad replied. "You need friends your age and Alan likes you."

I sighed as I hung up the phone and slumped down into my lazy boy as a Saturday night college game played on the TV.  I just wish these things came easier for me.  The anxiety is nerve wracking.      

7 comments:

Lindi said...

I can relate to that...I am ever so awkward in those types of situations. Last time my husband and I went to another couples house for dinner who we really didn't know well, I actually thought up things that I could talk about with them before we went. I was a nervous wreck inside. My husband didn't contribute much to the conversation as he didn't want to go there to begin with...so he was no help.
Alan probably felt as awkward as you did, but your Dad should have given you a heads up that he was coming so you could mentally prepare yourself.

Eric said...

Maybe a continued friendship with him will help you , but I can surely appreciate your anxiety.

www.goinggreenaccidently.blogspot.com

simonsays said...

I have felt the same way as you describe...I am not a social butterfly, either. But maybe your dad is right, maybe you two could be friends? Only you know if you could like him well enough...I also know what it's like to be lonely sometimes and that isn't fun, either.

I hope you have a MAHVELOUS Sunday darlin...

:)

Jami said...

I'm with you all the way, Andrew. Hell, I'm a counselor, and I STILL feel that way about social situations, only more so in groups, rather than one-on-one.

CJM-R said...

It is hard to be caught off guard like that. I would have been just as anxious...but maybe more so if I had time to worry about it before hand.

It is a nice thing that Al would like to strike up a friendship with you. You have a lot to offer!

Ms Sparky said...

I get the same anxiety response at times....Breathe....remember to breathe. That always helps.

I'd like to trade links with you at

Blue Behind Bars
http://bluebehindbars.com/

Let me know.

Thanks

Debbie (aka Blue's Mom)

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I get the same way...anyone unannounced puts such red streaks of color on my neck and shifts my head into high gear, I hate it. I know how you feel.

YUCK!
But glad it's over for you and you made it through!

:)