Thursday, December 11, 2008

At least he has cut down...

"How did you quit drinking?" I asked George down at Fat Albert's this morning.

I expected a long diatribe dissing AA as George thinks the people that go to AA are crazy, brain-washed, nuts.

"Oh, I still drink," George said with a grin. "I drink a six pack of malt liquor every afternoon when I get off of work."

"Your mom still won't let you drink inside, will she?" I asked.

George grinned and said, "I drink them in my Buick."

At least he has cut down.  I never could moderate my drinking.  I would always drink till I passed out or fell over.  This lessened drinking is the key to George holding his current job.

"You still drink?" George asked me.

"I haven't had a drink in over a year," I proudly reported back.

"Your life must be so boring," George replied with a look of distaste on his face. 

I let the snide remark slide down and off my back.  George will probably always drink.  Some find AA.  Many don't and spend their lives in drunken chaos.  George sure has seen his fair share of drinking related hardships.  I wish I could rescue my friend, but can only lead by example.  

7 comments:

Karin's Korner said...

Andrew, I have been following you for longer then a year and I must say...I am very very proud of you.

pattycakes said...

your doing so well andrew , im so proud of you . it must make you feel so good . happy holidays to you and yours :)

justLacey said...

I'd take boring over constant turmoil every day. You can do something exciting when you want, but George just can't seem to give up on drinking and it's killing him.

Leann said...

You should be patting yourself on the back Andrew. It takes a strong individual to rid themselves of that demon. Kudos to you and I'm very proud of you!!

forsythia said...

Poor George should save his pity. "Boring life?"
You? I don't think so. Your life is not boring at all. Look at all your readers who faithfully follow your blog. We wouldn't return if we didn't enjoy reading about Maggie, your wide-ranging interests, your love affair with food, your day-to-day adventures, you and your mom, you and your dad, your work, your progress.

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

I am glad that George has found a way to be more moderate in his drinking. It seems like a balance that works for him.

PipeTobacco

jrlmx2 said...

Way to go, Andrew! "boring" is what you're NOT! I join the others to say how proud of you I am to see your growth and stability in this past 1-2 years.